/ Warm, Thin, Waterproof Running Socks - Recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
yorkshireman - on 29 Nov 2013
I went for a run this morning. It was -15 and thick snow - my eyelids were freezing shut in parts.

But the worst part was my feet - pretty cold and if I'd been out much longer then it would have been getting dangerously so.

I was running a thick pair of cotton socks and thinner pair of running socks over the top, with normal trail shoes.

I've got a thick waterproof pair of SealSkinz which I used to use in my MTB days. They're toasty but a bit bulky and uncomforatble for running is so I'm looking for something else. Recommendations?

I don't mind paying for quality, but I run quite a bit and the winter here is long so I'd like to be able to afford a few pairs. So something affordable would be good.

victorclimber - on 29 Nov 2013
In reply to yorkshireman: don't sealskin do 2 types of sock ,one thinner than the other..
wbo - on 29 Nov 2013
In reply to yorkshireman:

Is it wet cold or dry cold? I use the same thin socks all yesr round which are the Nike Dryfit ones, but go to a different, warmer shoe in the winter. I tend to go with the assumption that as I'm going to get anyway I don't want a sock that soaks up a ton of water
yorkshireman - on 29 Nov 2013
In reply to victorclimber:
> don't sealskin do 2 types of sock ,one thinner than the other..

That's exactly what I did. Too cold. For about 50% of the run I'm shin deep in snow.

> Is it wet cold or dry cold?

Dry cold. At -15 there isn't much moisture around. I'm thinking I'm going to have to sacrifice some breatheability for warmth which is fine. At those temperatures.
Post edited at 15:13
nniff - on 29 Nov 2013

Try some woolie bullies. Not waterproof, but warm when wet and there shouldn't be much water around at those temperatures.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/defeet-woolie-boolie-bad-sheep-v2/

You can't go wrong with pink feet......
sbrt on 23 Dec 2013

These are pretty good http://www.hillyclothing.co.uk/monoskin-off-road-anklet
The wool does make a difference.
digby - on 23 Dec 2013

Wool for a start. It is warmer when damp, whether from sweat or water ingress, and merino if you can find it. The sealskinz socks just won't stay waterproof if used for running. About 1 run in my experience. But they ARE merino lined so with another thin pair inside can be warm if it's dry cold. Get bigger shoes! A pair of debris gaiters over everything to keep out snow (and even the occasional dunk in water).
ads.ukclimbing.com
IainRUK - on 23 Dec 2013

Have you tried the thin Sealskinz? I like them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.