UKC

Wally 2 @ Ratho Quarry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fiend 29 Nov 2013
Finally got around to this the other day. As I said previously:

> ...I haven't done it because I've been exploring the rest of Scotland and have saved it for a short local day.

Which is the absolute truth - I have genuinely wanted to do more Central Belt routes including W2, but have genuinely preferred exploring elsewhere when time and weather allowed. It is as simple and factual as that, and the other day happened to be a perfect short local day for going into the quarry, breezy sunny and cold.

It is a very good trad route, well worth two stars - a bit bold, a bit sustained and pumpy, a bit committing in places. Quite sheer but with a lot of decent holds and a nice clean top-out. Thanks to Robert for restoring it and to Buz for lending him the crowbar and being reasonable about the situation. And to Smelly Fox for a fun afternoon out.

As for the gear situation:

> Wally 2 is a solo when climbed without the bolts. Best left alone?
> If you want to do these run out/gearless routes
> a death solo.

Uh huh. Suffice to say that I ran out of quickdraws and it took more small RPs than I own. 11 bits of gear in total, but I could have placed a lot more near the top. It's a bit small/fiddly low down but easy to faff around placing the gear and drop down from the ledge.

Then we did The Corrieman which is more like F6b+ and very nice, well out of the way of both Wallys. Both felt pretty steady, maybe maybe I felt good after several visits to Ratho Wall recently or maybe it was a trip to Dunira the other week (the 28th sport crag I've been to in Scotland, not bad for a "whinging trad fanny").

Did I mention that W2 is very good? Also that wall is a nice suntrap at this time of year.

If anyone needs more info on the gear:

*spoiler*
> Tied down skyhook (easy to place), RP0, HB0, HB2, Camalot 0.25, Camalot 0.75, HB2, RP1, RP2, Peenut 1, Camalot C3 00
*end spoiler*
 JLS 29 Nov 2013
In reply to Fiend:

I sort of lost track how many (retro bolted) sport routes got chopped and how many sport routes are still equipped?
 Andy Nisbet 29 Nov 2013
In reply to Fiend:

> a trip to Dunira the other week

Did you do Dunira or Die? Folks on UKC are suggesting it's undergraded or a hold has come off.
 Robert Durran 29 Nov 2013
In reply to JLS:

> I sort of lost track how many (retro bolted) sport routes got chopped and how many sport routes are still equipped?

Pettifer's Wall and Wally 2 were retro-bolted and subsequently chopped. Slow Strain was retro-bolted and remains bolted (there is a feeling that this might be fair enough since rockfall had changed the original route anyway).

All the new sport routes (about 5) remain bolted.
 JLS 29 Nov 2013
In reply to Robert Durran:

Cheers.
OP Fiend 30 Nov 2013
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

I tried it, but I couldn't do the top crux at all - it seemed to be a blind, reachy slap off a slippery quartz pinch, but nothing like any F7a I've ever done. So yes either undergraded and/or something has gone missing.

We did all the other routes except ShangriLa and the eliminate 6b - good stuff, nice fierce crimping in a very sunny location indeed. Should have had bottled oxygen for the walk-in though!

JLS: Yes, 5 new sport routes, plus SS, plus the original 3 sport routes (2 left of Welcome To The Cruise, and the arete right of W2 - Buz said he might sort a proper lower-off for the latter).
 Neil Adams 30 Nov 2013
In reply to Fiend:

Nice one. Haven't been to Ratho in ages, but am keen to have a look at some of the newly-cleaned routes next time I'm over.
 JLS 30 Nov 2013
In reply to Fiend:

Cool. Thanks for the heads up on conditions, managed to climb there today, was good fun.
 Andy Nisbet 30 Nov 2013
In reply to Fiend:

> I tried it, but I couldn't do the top crux at all - it seemed to be a blind, reachy slap off a slippery quartz pinch, but nothing like any F7a I've ever done. So yes either undergraded and/or something has gone missing.

Probably something has come off. The grades of the routes I've done (all the easier ones) seemed fine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...