UKC

Jury service. Dress code.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 30 Nov 2013
What should I wear?
 Siward 30 Nov 2013
In reply to Flinticus:
People wear all sorts from suits to jeans and t shirt. No one seems to interfere with their choice of dress. That said, it doesn't do any harm to seem at least semi respectable, but a fleece and jeans is just as good as smarter gear.
 scooba2cv 30 Nov 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

I was on a 7 week murder trial earlier this year, as above there isn't really a dress code. Tended to go in my climbing trousers with a polo shirt as i made the most of early afternoon finishes. Some wore suits and some wore jeans and T-shirts.
In reply to Flinticus:
A burqa and Google Glasses.

or a T shirt

http://www.cafepress.co.uk/mf/36678825/wwdd_tshirt?productId=419100265
Post edited at 16:00
 birdie num num 30 Nov 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

A black cap is a nice touch
 Choss 30 Nov 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

Elvis wig and deely boppers?
 The New NickB 30 Nov 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

I wore a suit, shirt but no tie, was the smartest dressed jury member in the building (probably a dozen trials going on) by some margin.
 Jamie B 30 Nov 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

No dress code, but maybe leave the "F*ck" T-shirt at home?

Jim C 30 Nov 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

> What should I wear?

I'm sitting here with a Jury form that tells me that my name has come out again ( I was on a jury in 1980)

I will may still just be called up but not selected, and I have been told that the guilty party's brief may object to people based on how they are dressed, (smartly dressed people may be objected to, ) but not sure how true that is?

Once you are picked it matters nought how you dress- unless it is indecent- I guess.

( kidding about the 'guilty party' by the way
OP Flinticus 30 Nov 2013
Thought about the burqa, as well as a 'Legalise cannabis' t-shirt.

Great, so at least a suit is not mandatory.

Wiley Coyote2 30 Nov 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

The old advice used to be that if you did not want to be selected wear a suit and tie and carry the Torygraph.

But then there is the old joke: What do you call someone in a suit in Liverpool? The defendant.
 The Lemming 30 Nov 2013
In reply to birdie num num:

> A black cap is a nice touch

With pointed corners?

andrewmc 30 Nov 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

Having managed to get on jury service twice before the age of 27, it doesn't matter as long as you don't wear something stupid.
 Trangia 30 Nov 2013
In reply to andrewmcleod:

> it doesn't matter as long as you don't wear something stupid.

Good advice. Remember that you are part of a court, dealing with a serious matter and wearing something outrageous might be seen by the judge as "contempt of court". Smart casual is probably the right balance, you need to feel comfortable so that you can concentrate.

Enjoy it can be an interesting experience. I've been called twice.

Removed User 01 Dec 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

Take notes-you will forget details otherwise.
Removed User 01 Dec 2013
In reply to Trangia:

Smart casual is probably the right balance, you need to feel comfortable so that you can concentrate.

I'd go with this. The few braindeads on the jury I sat on were either wearing suits very self-consciously or wearing scruffs.

> Enjoy it can be an interesting experience.

Indeed, and with a profound sense of responsibility, depending on the seriousness and/or clarity of the case.
 Mike-W-99 01 Dec 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

Smart/casual and take a book with you. Loads of sitting around as the cogs of the legal system grind into action.
 The Potato 01 Dec 2013
In reply to Flinticus:
plain shirt and pants, preferably not jeans but its not that important
unless you have stormtrooper outfit....
 obi-wan nick b 01 Dec 2013
In reply to owena:

Do you suggest boxers or y fronts?
 ewar woowar 01 Dec 2013
In reply to obi-wan nick b:

Boxers

On head, a pencil up each nostril and sit there saying "Wibble, wibble, wibble!"
 Choss 01 Dec 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

Cant you just dodge jury Service?

Most people do.
 thin bob 01 Dec 2013
In reply to ewar woowar:

pigeon murderer!!
 Mike-W-99 02 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

Up here in Scotland they have been more persistent recently. I went over 20 years without a call up and have had 3 in the last 5 years. It used ot be just turning up for jury duty got you 5 years of no callups but thats been reduced if you dont get selected.
OP Flinticus 03 Dec 2013
Well, went along. Smart cas and this seemed to be the best fit given the rest of the jury. Also brought a book which proved essential in staving off boredom as we sat around for hours. No-one was picked and we were all eventually dismissed but I've got to ring again this evening.
 andrewmc 03 Dec 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

Jury service = this for two weeks.

Plus eventually getting on a case, which a few hours later gets cancelled because a juror recognises one of the witnesses/facts of the case change/other legal madness. I was selected for four trials, only finished two (each only taking a short time).

Also bear in mind even if you are on a trial, you will still be in and out continuously as the case will be interrupted repeatedly by other court business.
 teflonpete 03 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

> Cant you just dodge jury Service?

> Most people do.

Just get yourself a criminal record for something very minor and then they don't bother you.
 Choss 03 Dec 2013
In reply to teflonpete:

> Just get yourself a criminal record for something very minor and then they don't bother you.

who hasnt?

I only Know 1 person who didnt dodge jury Service. They had a case with a Fella pleading not guilty over Drug possession found in his car. They all voted not guilty after 4 days Regardless of evidence anyway.
 Fat Bumbly2 03 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

I have not and am getting pestered a bit - twice in the last 2 years (Scotland). Expensive when stuck on a zero hours.
Jim C 03 Dec 2013
In reply to Removed Userena sharples:

> Take notes-you will forget details otherwise.

I was wondering about that, as I said above , I have just had my second call since 1980'

They have invented computers since I was last on a jury, are you allowed an iPad or similar to take notes?
 andrewmc 04 Dec 2013
In reply to Jim C:

Possibly - if you don't mind leaving your iPad in the court's possession, and having it destroyed after the trial ends...

(you can't take your notes out of the court except for when retiring to deliver a verdict, and they will be destroyed when the trial ends)
Removed User 06 Dec 2013
In reply to Jim C:

Don't know about these days-last time I was called was 15 years ago. However, you can ask (or at any rate you could in those days) for the official transcript of the trial to be made available to the Jury retiring room (along with any exhibits produced during the trial)
In reply to Trangia:

I've just done two weeks of jury service and smart casual is indeed the appropriate wear. "Your Guide to Jury Service", which is sent to every juror when first summoned, spells this out clearly: "It is suggested that you dress comfortably. You should as you will be sitting down for a long time. There is no strict dress code, but you should dress appropriately."
Most of the jurors turned up in smart casual dress, suitable for an office job. I wore smart trousers, shoes and shirt. Three of us on the last jury panel I was on wore ties, which is unnecessary. No one wore jackets; most took light sweaters, which is practical, because the assembly area and court rooms may feel variously a little warm or a little cool. No one wore flamboyant clothing. The best dressed lady was an immaculately dressed muslim student with elegant head scarves.
Jim C 06 Dec 2013
In reply to andrewmcleod:

> Possibly - if you don't mind leaving your iPad in the court's possession, and having it destroyed after the trial ends...

> (you can't take your notes out of the court except for when retiring to deliver a verdict, and they will be destroyed when the trial ends)

Fair enough, thanks.
Jim C 06 Dec 2013
In reply to John Stainforth:

> I've just done two weeks of jury service .

Anything interesting?

In reply to Jim C:

Yes, I sat on two trials that I found very interesting. One was not pleasant. I will not say what they were about on the internet, because I wish to remain an anonymous with respect to the specific cases.
OP Flinticus 07 Dec 2013
In reply to John Stainforth:
Well, after four days of being called in, no jury was needed. Dress became more casual as the days went on, with more trainers appearing, including a pair on my feet.

Glad we didn't sit as the case outline sounded traumatic.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...