UKC

Snow Shoeing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 30 Nov 2013
Anyone done any snow shoeing? Is it difficult? If you've solo walked an area in summer is it feasible to do it solo snow shoeing?
Glad of any info
interdit 30 Nov 2013
In reply to FesteringSore:

> Anyone done any snow shoeing?
Lots.

> Is it difficult?
It's not like skiing - Not lots of technique to learn!
It can be quite physically demanding sometimes, other times much easier depending on snow conditions and terrain.

> If you've solo walked an area in summer is it feasible to do it solo snow shoeing?

Yes - If you have:
Avalanche awareness.
Winter navigation skills.
Mountain weather knowledge.

> Glad of any info
Buy the correct sort of snowshoes for the sort of snowshoing youexpect to do.
Some are basic and are for winter walks at low level.
Some have spikes & teeth for use in steeper & icier terrain.
Some are massive - for use in deep powder.

Use poles.
 DaveHK 30 Nov 2013

If you've got any skiing skills and the cash to spare touring skis are a much better way to travel in the snow.
 Foolow Mike 30 Nov 2013

Snowshoeing is great fun and a great way to explore the winter "back country." What interdit has already said is correct. Somehow snowshoeing feels better outside the U.K. perhaps as the snow is different. Ski touring is good too, especially in a more open mountain context rather than through forests. Horses for courses, though personally I prefer my snowshoes!

mike

Really enjoy snowshoeing; an easy way to travel in deep snow, and get away from the crowds in Alpine areas without needing lots of technical ability. Also really good fun. Need to pace yourself - you can't expect to cover the same sort of distances in winter snow as in summer, and obviously be aware of terrain & avalanche risks.
needvert 01 Dec 2013

Never done any snow shoeing until this season, then did it for two weekends. There's nothing to it, easy as. First weekend was with snow shoes without any metal teeth on the bottom, that was borderline dangerous on steep slopes.

Next weekend was with a pair of msr denalis, they were pretty good. Performed well even when jumping across rocks in an almost frozen river crossing.

Bought myself a pair of msr ascents but havent had a chance to take them out yet.

I found overnight snow shoeing quite fun.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...