UKC

Stonking day today

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Offwidth 30 Nov 2013
Anyone else make the most of it? Almost perfect conditions on dry sunny rock on the far right of Heppy. A big up to Mr Tan for an onsight of a possible FRA which looked HSish but was not so far from E1 as the holds all sloped the wrong way.
 jon 30 Nov 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

> a possible FRA which looked HSish

Translation please?
 Dan Arkle 30 Nov 2013
 Muel 30 Nov 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

I was at Higgar Tor all day, just me until noon, then 1 guy bouldering, 3 of my mates turned up, then another pair later on. Can't understand why it wasn't busier! Never seen such good conditions this late in the year before. (Mind you've I've only been climbing a couple of years).
 Bulls Crack 01 Dec 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

RH buttress? Where?

I was bouldering at Scout Hut .thena bike ride into the sunset...very nice
 Nick Russell 01 Dec 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

Great day at Avon too. I was up on the ramp, the only party there, it was almost too hot! Plenty of people out on Sea Walls, and I could see a few oven in Main Area too.
OP Offwidth 01 Dec 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack:

I was planning to go to Scout Hut on my own but Chris could get out and wanted to look at the RH end with the new scripts. I doubt the lines we did were new but they were still unlisted on Main Buttress. The two aretes with independent finishes above. The left (starting on the right and swinging left) at juggy VS 4c, finishing up the overlapped slab on the right. The right arete at top end HVS 5a (assuming you find the pockets in the world of slopers), at the top of the crag finishing left over the bulge (care with hollow roof flakes). Both good routes which could do with confirming the grades.

Its a really good crag for a sunny winter day with little wind. For those that don't know it you cut left when the path to the main crag first reaches the scarp edge and drop down to a 6m quarry (good for highballs due to flat landings) then a higher quarried section then a 12m clean natural edge. We did think half of the sub VS routes were too stiffly graded except the newer line Obvious Arete, which seemed soft. Lots of obvious unlisted mods just left of Main buttress which make good beginners leads.
 Bulls Crack 01 Dec 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

Damn I could demonstrated the mega-line that is Grindley's Senile Bull!
 BnB 01 Dec 2013
At Crookrise yesterday, I rounded off my first year on rock by successfully leading my first two consecutive VSs.

Please don't go on too much about how good the conditions were (even though they were undoubtedly fantastic) as I want to feel very pleased with myself
 Dave Warburton 01 Dec 2013
In reply to BnB:

I too was at Crookrise. It was too hot!
 BnB 01 Dec 2013
In reply to Dave Warburton:

> I too was at Crookrise. It was too hot!

Lovely day wasn't it? Rock certainly wasn't that cold to the touch. Nice slabs there.
OP Offwidth 01 Dec 2013
In reply to BnB:

Hardly the easiest place to do ones first consecutive VS climbs ... well done. What were they?

BnB 01 Dec 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

Thanks

Route 2 and Octopus Direct. I think the fact that both of them have a bloomin' great ledge half way up helped with the head game. I could break the route more easily into manageable sections. On the other hand, they both have a bold lower half, ie no gear until the break.
 Jon Stewart 01 Dec 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

Damn you all.
 tim newton 01 Dec 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Aaah Jon, just to rub it in your face, I went to Bridestones for the first time thanks to your recommendation in the summer...and it was so good there on Saturday. And I agree with you, horror arete is the perfect problem. So thanks!
 Jon Stewart 01 Dec 2013
In reply to tim newton:

> Aaah Jon, just to rub it in your face, I went to Bridestones for the first time thanks to your recommendation in the summer...and it was so good there on Saturday. And I agree with you, horror arete is the perfect problem. So thanks!

Great stuff! If you're up for Peak bouldering at any stage, I'd love to show you round the Stanage highball circuit, give us a shout.
 Graeme Hammond 01 Dec 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

Yes great day, lead my first climb in 6 months
 Simon Caldwell 01 Dec 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

Couldn't get out yesterday so made do with Rivelin today instead. The predicted blanket of cloud didn't show up until after lunch, so I was hugely over-dressed in the sun!
 David Coley 01 Dec 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

Put up a new route in the Boulder Ruckle in T-shirts. Perfect start to the winter season in the South.
 Dave Musgrove 04 Dec 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

Deer Gallows was good too. Lots of new problems, a couple of VSs I'd never done before and Fantastic sunset over Pendle. Finished of with a couple of pints in the Elm Tree.What more could you want.om
 JimboWizbo 04 Dec 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

We were are Robin Hood's Stride bouldering, perfect conditions. Short blog here http://jimbowizbo.wordpress.com/
 The Pylon King 04 Dec 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

I hate the word 'Stonking'
OP Offwidth 04 Dec 2013
In reply to The Pylon King:

That's stonking news to me
In reply to Offwidth:

I was at work all weekend. On nights. 12 hour nights with 90 mins travel each way.

I hate you all.
OP Offwidth 04 Dec 2013
In reply to Just Another Dave:

I feel for you but your stonking day will come

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...