UKC

Carnets Du Vertige - Lachenhal

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Allan McDonald (Gwydyr MC) 01 Dec 2013
I wish this could be translated into English (My French is dreadful).
Annapurna is a brilliant read BUT it has to be read IMO with David Roberts 'True Summit' to reveal a more accurate picture.
Not sure if it is relevant but I find Lachenhals' grave in Chamonix tragic. All the other great alpinists(of that era)graves are well kept but his is overgrown and I wonder why..................
Did he ruffle too many feathers in the French alpine climbing establishment ? One passage in True Summit sticks in my mind and it is of a drunk (and no doubt deeply bitter) Lachenhal wandering the Chamonix streets one night shouting that 'we never even made the [Annapurna]top'..............
When one considers how Herzog 'amended' Carnets one hopes that somewhere someone will do a full and open translation of the original manuscript.
 Simon4 01 Dec 2013
In reply to Allan McDonald (Gwydyr MC): I had heard rumours about Annapurna being rather more devoted to literary excellence than mountaineering accuracy. Somewhat like (but with significantly less malevolent effects), The White Spider, which contains intentional hatchet jobs on several people, see Luca Signorelli of this parish about that particular matter.

So does Roberts (or Lachenhal), imply or state that they never got to the summit?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...