UKC

Wireless speaker systems

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Si dH 01 Dec 2013

Hi, I've done some internet research on this but am struggling a bit.

I want to connect up the amp from my hifi (the amp is a marantz pm5004 with standard speaker outputs and a headphone output) to speakers in a different room wirelessly, as well as the speakers directly connected to it.

Most wireless speakers on line that I can find are designed to work with PCs, tablets, phones etc that will easily output a wireless signal. Is there such a device that I can connect to my amp (either via the normal speaker outputs or via the headphones socket) and stream the sound wirelessly to a wireless speaker in another room? Presumably it would have to have some sort of integral analogue-to-digital converter.

If I could also stream from my PC, phone etc to the same system that would be a great - but thats a bonus rather than necessity.

Thanks
Post edited at 12:46
 steve taylor 01 Dec 2013
In reply to Si dH:

Is this what you mean - it should do the necessary and the bonus requirement.

Search http://www.7dayshop.com
for the avantree-tc200-universal-bluetooth-audio-transmitter-receiver

(Can't put in the whole link as it's too long)

I have a logitech bluetooth receiver connected to my Denon amp, which the whole family use various phones/tablets to stream music to the only decent speakers in the house - all very successfully. The only slight issue is that the phone/tablet needs to be in the same room as the receiver/amp.

To my uneducated ears, the D to A conversion seems fine.

chris fox 01 Dec 2013
In reply to Si dH:
I have the Sonos system in my house. The connect connects my Mini mac to my Amp (so i can play either music from the net or my itunes) out of my home theatre system. I also have a sonos 3 in the kitchen and a sonos 5 in the bedroom.
I can play all the same music in all rooms seamlessly or any combination of the 3 . Ie living room and kitchen together and bedroom something completely different. I paid £280 for the connect £379 for the sonos 5 and £250 for the sonos 3. They also do a sonos 1 now which is £130.

all operated from the app on my phone too

http://www.richersounds.com/productlistmanu/ALL/SONOS/price/?products=ALL

http://www.sonos.com/system
Post edited at 14:58
 saalty 01 Dec 2013
In reply to Si dH:

Sonos is great if you want to go wireless, but you would need two units to make this work, and it would probably be cheaper to put a small system in that other room.
Where are you getting the music from? is it from a cd player or is being taken from your pc? if you just wanted to stream from a pc and or your phone etc, there are loads of things available.
I'm assuming running the wiring from you amp is not an option as that amp has 2 sets of speakers outputs so you could just run some thin cable, and this would be a much cheaper option.
OP Si dH 01 Dec 2013
In reply to saalty:

Where the music is coming from is the whole point really...the sonos systems look good but are aimed at bringing together lots of wireless digital systems (phones, PCs, tablets etc) to a decent amp and speakers...my problem is the other way around. ie, I want to use an output from the amp to play via another set of speakers in another part of the house. I do have one set of speaker outputs availale so I could use those if there is a way of converting them in to a wireless signal - but I'm not running a 10m cable around the house.

The sound is coming from both a CD player and a record player in to the amp. These could output directly to some sort of transmitter individually I think, but I'd much prefer if I could take the output from the amp so as (a) to get better amp quality and (b) so I don't have to keep moving plugs around if I want to play them both through the main speakers and the remote speakers.

Thanks
OP Si dH 01 Dec 2013
In reply to chris fox:

Hi Chris, can the Sonos Connect take the amp as an input rather than as an output, and transmit via wireless from that amp to a sonos speaker elsewhere? This wasn't clear to me from the website. It looks like it is more aimed at outputting to the amp, having taken its input from wireless systems like your mac. Unfortunately my record player doesn't have a wireless output
OP Si dH 01 Dec 2013
In reply to steve taylor:

Thanks Steve - that looks like a good option except for the range issue...will have to look in to whetehr there is something I can do to extend it.
 chris fox 01 Dec 2013
In reply to Si dH:

Hey Si,

on the back of the Connect it has
an Audio out (red and white plugs)
Audio In (red and White plugs)

Coax plug
fibre optic plug and the ethernet connection for comp.

Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...