UKC

Chaperoning non-mountain folk in Chamonix

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 frqnt 01 Dec 2013
I've convinced two of my non-mountain savvy friends to visit me while I'm in Chamonix and I'm trying to decide what we should do.

Where would be best best to take beginners skiing? Is there a package we can get for two/three days which includes lifts, rental and maybe a lesson?
Is paragliding an option in winter?
Is there anywhere genuinely objectively safe that I could take them for a wee BC experience? Maybe snow-shoeing if the skiing doesn't go well.

Any recommendations for activities would be grand.

Thanks
Rigid Raider 03 Dec 2013
In reply to frqnt:

There's easy skiing up the valley at Le Tour.
Removed User 03 Dec 2013
In reply to frqnt:

+1 for Le Tour. You could also try cross-country/nordic skiing in the valley. There are a couple routes to try.
 Carolyn 03 Dec 2013
In reply to frqnt:

I imagine paragliding might be an option - they do tandem trips in 3 Valleys, off the top on of one of the cable cars, wearing skis to land. Don't know if you're expected to have any skiing ability.......
 SteveD 03 Dec 2013
In reply to frqnt:

Les Houches has some nice easy skiing up on the ridge and I think some simple snow shoeing tracks as well. You could also walk up the rail track a way to give a mountain-y aspect without getting too exposed.

Steve D
 jon 03 Dec 2013
In reply to frqnt:

What you need is Hilary's Chamonix Mountain Adventures, published by Cicerone: http://books.google.fr/books/about/Chamonix_Mountain_Adventures.html?id=pLB...
In reply to frqnt:

Agree on Le Tour and Les Houches for beginners. Le Tour very wide and open, with well-prepared pistes, but not so great for food and drink on the hill; book a table early. Les Houches the most gentle of the 'mountain resorts' in the valley. And with some pretty charming restaurants, if you can find them... LH also has snow-shoeing tracks and the Mont-Blanc tramway. Oh, and you get a great view of the shiny new Gouter refuge... (well, it looks rather small, but very prominent once you spot it).

Genuinely objectively safe backcountry skiing...? Hmmmm... Well, , it took Les Houches a few days to bash the Plancerts red after heavy snowfall, so it started a bit like a 'back country' piste, until it got cut up... It's a long drag back, though, which true beginners might struggle with...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...