UKC

A pub recommendation for London town.....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JohnnyW 01 Dec 2013
I am taking my parents to London for a show next weekend. We live in Scotland, and they in Leicestershire, so we have little experience of our capital city. Indeed, I believe the streets are not actually still paved with gold?

What I want are some recommendations for a decent pub for dinner on Saturday early evening. They will have been to a matinee show, (whilst we scout for said pub), so preferably around Shaftsbury Ave area. We don't like posh grub places, so a decent pub meal will do, but you can waste time looking for a place when you've only got one evening.

They are a young 70, and we like a bit of life too for middle-aged fogies, so we fancy an early evening feed, then a few pints and a laugh in proper pubs.

Give me some ideas guys.......
 thin bob 01 Dec 2013
In reply to JohnnyW:

mate had had dinner in the princess louise (holborn); fairly standard but it is a pretty pub. walk down to the river after. Not the most soulful of places (the quietness can be rather nice!)
You could do worse than stroll down to the South Bank for TAS / Real Greek overlooking the river.
Or, covent garden, liable to get rammed later, get in early and get a table http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/clubs_bars/venue-1723.php mainly burgers & stuff.

TBH, I'd probably wander for a bit & pick a random place for chips. Life's rich tapestry and all that.
 kingborris 01 Dec 2013
In reply to JohnnyW:

The Lyric in soho is worth a look. Great beer selection, and I've heard reasonable talk of the food, but not eaten there myself, only at their sister pub, which was good.
 robal 02 Dec 2013
In reply to JohnnyW:

the lamb and flag in covent garden is pretty cool, featured in dickens novels as he wrote some of them there.

then the french house in soho, on dean street, a cell of the french resistance was based there during the war!

the porter house on maiden lane in covent garden, they have bands on and its pretty nice.

the great queen street restaurant (number 32 great queen street) has excellent cocktails and the food is pretty ace. I ususally go there for an espressotini before going out for dinner!

all of the above can get busy but thats all I know of as the parents live on kean street so they are all super close.

food wise I think that you cant beat home slice in neals yard for decent pizza and on tap presecco, busaba eathai on floral street for good thai food. then you could try sofra for decent greek, meat market for sleezy but delicious burgers, cote for decent and cheap bistro french food all of which are covent garden.

for breakfast (i have been told dinner is good too but I havent been) try the delaunay restaurant. the eggs benedict is outrageously delicious!

have fun
Rob

LastBoyScout 02 Dec 2013
In reply to thin bob:

The Porterhouse is great, if you can get in it - last couple of times, I've given up trying to fight through to the bar.

One of my favourites is the Imperial, just off Leicester Square - bit further and also now suffering from overcrowding.

Most places around the shows are going to be busy and this time of year, ANYWHERE will be packed with Christmas shoppers, so I'd be more inclined to just see where you can get in.
OP JohnnyW 02 Dec 2013
In reply to JohnnyW:

Thanks folks - My wife wants to visit Covent garden, and I haven't been there for 27-odd years, so that might be a goer
 lowersharpnose 02 Dec 2013
In reply to thin bob:

The Princess Louise is a really good pub, old decor and layout - a large single room with a central bar.
 Durbs 02 Dec 2013
In reply to JohnnyW:

From Covent Garden, you can walk down to The Chandos and/or The Marquis which both do a good pint and decent (but not flashy) grub
 lowersharpnose 02 Dec 2013
In reply to JohnnyW:

Coach and Horses, Soho and ask if Jeff has been in.
OP JohnnyW 02 Dec 2013
In reply to JohnnyW:

A good few to try out here. I feel a Google Map coming on.....
KevinD 02 Dec 2013
In reply to JohnnyW:

How are you heading in? Its on the small side but the Euston Tap (right outside Euston station strangely enough) for a stop off is very nice.
Not as good as its Sheffield equivalent but still a good range of beers.
 toddles 03 Dec 2013
In reply to Durbs:

Between those two pubs is The Harp which is a nice pub.
It gets very crowded at times but has another room upstairs.
They do real ales and some nice sausage rolls.
http://www.harpcoventgarden.com/

> From Covent Garden, you can walk down to The Chandos and/or The Marquis which both do a good pint and decent (but not flashy) grub

Paul Bond 03 Dec 2013
In reply to JohnnyW:

Have a look at Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese in Fleet Street NOT the one in Essex Street called the Cheshire cheese.

It's Sam Smiths Beer and a bit of a tourist trap but VERY atmospheric and a warren of rooms and cellars.

I'm. Cockney and a London Cab Driver but I still love it, you can feel the history in this 300 plus old place!
OP JohnnyW 03 Dec 2013
In reply to JohnnyW:

I reckon if we get around but a selection of these, we'll be three sheets to the wind!

Thanks a lot everyone!

I'll report back............

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...