UKC

Asolo Eiger GV

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 subflux 02 Dec 2013
Hi,

I'm in the market for some B3's (for my GF) for the upcoming season.

We've been trying on the usual suspects, with not a great deal of success, but she tried on some Asolo Eiger GVs and found their fit was very very good compared to most other 'standard choice' B3s she's tried.

The use case we're thinking of is for the immediate short term (i.e. this season) is III/IV Scottish Winter and a trip to least Rjukan.

I haven't found much info on them, I think a Rock and Ice review and something on Backcountry.com - but nothing about their suitability for Scottish Winter.

The length of the boot (sole) seemed longer for an equivalent sized Nepal which I could imagine may translate into a bit more calf-pump if the heels are a bit further away.

I'd also read that boots like this with the outer-gaiter covering can be difficult to dry out, but not sure if we'll be in the position of getting them soaked very often.

Does anyone know the typical use case of these boots, and if they would be a decent candidate for III/IV Scottish Winter and IV/V Ice.

I understand that it's no doubt possible for "good" climbers to climb "up to grade" whatever in e.g. mantas and G12s - but I'm just wondering if anyone knows specifically about these boots or how to read the features of the boot and translate that into suitability as compared to e.g. Nepal Extremes, Mont Blanc, Baturas etc.

Cheers,

Kenny
 mrchewy 02 Dec 2013
In reply to subflux: I climb in B3 Asolos (I'd call them B2.5 myself)that have just been discontinued and they've been fine at those grades in Scotland and Wales in a size 8.5. I use them with 12 point Petzls. Really pleased with them, I'd wanted Nepals but the fit was so much better that I had to buy the Asolos. No regrets.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...