UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: DMM XSRE Carabiner

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 03 Dec 2013
DMM XSRE colours, 4 kb

Whatever we do at DMM, we always make sure that we do it well. Even our XSRE accessory carabiner is a cut above the rest. Not only does it look the business, it also comes with the distinctive hallmarks of quality and engineering precision that you would expect from a DMM biner.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=5917
 Null 04 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:

Perhaps I don't understand ...?

What appears to be a karabiner, recommended for carrying climbing equipment, but that cannot be used as a karabiner (even though it very obviously will be used by accident).

This appears to me to be a flawed concept.
 Nick Russell 04 Dec 2013
In reply to Erstwhile:

Looking at the size comparison, it would be pretty hard to use it by accident!

That said, I do avoid carrying accessory biners for exactly that reason: I don't want anything on my harness that's not strong enough to actually use. They say this one's rated to 4kN though, which could definitely be used in an emergency. I expect lots of people on here have abbed off weaker anchors than that (though probably not in normal circumstances!).
In reply to UKC Gear:

£8 for an accessory krab, that you can't use for climbing, crazy!

You can get a proper one for less.

Stuart

In reply to Nick Russell:

I agree - why carry something you can't use! In an emergency, I'd rather know that every piece of kit on my harness is useful, than being stuck with 'accessory biners' that I can't use for anything!
 John Kelly 04 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:

Sorry DMM - not good - whats wrong with v small full spec biner
 A Reid 04 Dec 2013
In reply to John Kelly:

I'd imagine it could be quite useful for clipping ice tools to leashes at only 8g and pretty small. Similar to what Black Diamond use for clipping tools, but stringer. Guessing it was probably developed for the industrial sector, rope access etc where you probably clip tools, equipment etc to your harness, just a thought anyway

andrewmc 06 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:
I suspect it may be more for the professional market?
Where you might want to clip heavy things that aren't people, and are just buying a load of gear off the DMM catalogue.

Plus they do look pretty tiny.
Post edited at 16:10

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...