UKC

Training

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Piglet69 03 Dec 2013
I’m looking for a training plan for a first Ultra (85km). Have about 5 months. Just looking to finish so if anyone has any suggestions I’d appreciate it .

Thanks
A.
In reply to Piglet69:

I've used the very basic santa clarita club calculator before- try googling 'scrunners ultra' and it should pop up. You just put the date in and distance and it populates the spreadsheet for you. I found that it had a few too many short runs in there, so you might want to sack a few off; you can download it and modify it anyway. To be honest the long runs are the most important; quality (hill reps, speedwork) will be more use than quantity (loads of easy short runs) if you can only do a few during the week. Just make sure you get used to being out for a long time and learn when and what to eat and drink.
 Nick Harvey 03 Dec 2013
In reply to Piglet69:
I just ran the 10 miles to work and then ran home a lot, and did it more often the closer I got. I did a few long weekend runs too. If I were doing it again, I would do a lot more short fast stuff, and more long runs (marathon +) and cut out a lot of the mileage in the 10 mile-ish bracket. That¡¦s not really a training programme, I grant you. (I also didn't finish my ultra)
Post edited at 12:17
 StefanB 03 Dec 2013
In reply to Piglet69:

Well, you could use a marathon plan. Maybe just extend the long runs a bit.

However, I am not too keen on fixed plans. The important part is to get the miles in. Run as much as you can, building up slowly. I assume you don't start from 0, so you will know what to do in this respect. The most important run is your long run. This should steadily increase. Once you feel comfortable running long add the occasional back to back long run. Depending on your performance goal and the weekly mileage you can you may add a long tempo run as well once a week.
Apart from this practice nutrition on the run, gear, etc. If your ultra includes running at night practice this as well.
In reply to Piglet69:

Yep, as staff says don't worry about sticking religiously to the plan or it'll make you miserable. You could also use other events as training runs, like marathons or shorter ultras. These have two benefits; a) it gets you used to the feel or racing, how to pace yourself etc, and b) gives some nice intermediate goals to aim for as well which helps break up the monotony of training. Plus it means you gets supported so don't have to lug 2 or litres of water and loads of food on your long training runs and get to run with other, like-minded runners.
OP Piglet69 04 Dec 2013
In reply to Piglet69:

In reply to Days on Rock:

the link to "scrunners" calculator is fine. Thanks for that. I find it useful to have plan stuck somwhere to remind me to get out the door, espically in Winter. I don't get too hung up on them either.

Not stating form 0 either Steff. Have done a 55km off the back of some marathon training but the step up to 85km is a bit daunting. Wasn't aware of the back to backs at weekend thought.
Cheers Folks
A.
In reply to Piglet69: if it seems daunting then try to break it up into sections. I've not done much long distance stuff really but I found that mountain marathons seem to fly by as you are working from one control point to the next and keeping the overall route in the back of your mind. If you think about just getting to the next checkpoint and no further then it should make life a bit more pleasant and also help with eating etc.

Banned User 77 05 Dec 2013
In reply to Piglet69:

I'd just look at any marathon plan..

But basically miles in. You have 5 months, get a big endurance base in.
 steelbru 06 Dec 2013
In reply to Piglet69:

This might confuse more than it helps, but literally dozens of ultra plans here http://www.ultramarathonrunning.com/training/index.html
 Run_Ross_Run 08 Dec 2013
In reply to Piglet69:

> I’m looking for a training plan for a first Ultra (85km). Have about 5 months.

Hoka?

OP Piglet69 09 Dec 2013
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

Thats it.
OP Piglet69 09 Dec 2013
In reply to steelbru:

Plenty of lunchtime reading there. Thanks.

A.
 Run_Ross_Run 09 Dec 2013
In reply to Piglet69:

> Thats it.

Ditto,

If its any conciliation I did it this year with very little experience, 1 trail marathon in prep and a few 20 and 30kms runs (nowhere near enough). Was ok til 65km but then lost the plot, more-or-less walked the rest.
Lack of time on the legs was my problem

Signed back up for 2014 with the target of sub 10hrs. So its double days back to back- 2x20's, 2x30's, 2x40's. More emphasis on time rather than speed.

Oh, strong ankles/toughend feet are a must.

See you there!!!
OP Piglet69 10 Dec 2013
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

Well best of luck with you training over the Winter. Theres a group of six of us going over. Talk then

A.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...