UKC

Dodgyst gear placement

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 shumidrives 04 Dec 2013
What is your best/most inventable placement ever?
Would these work?
http://i.imgur.com/n5Wiz.jpg
 Chris Sansum 04 Dec 2013
In reply to shumidrives:

After running out of gear at Shorncliffe one day (the place eats nuts!), hanging the pokeing end of a nut key out of a narrow pocket with a quickdraw attached to the other end. Probably wouldn't have done much, but it stayed in and worked as psychological gear!
In reply to shumidrives:

A couple spring to mind but possibly the one that stands out is chipping a Rock #5 placement in 1cm verglass! A good job I didn't fall off

ALC
 CurlyStevo 04 Dec 2013
In reply to shumidrives:

> What is your best/most inventable placement ever?

> Would these work?

that looks quite good if it held when the cam was tugged I think it would work
 Choss 04 Dec 2013
In reply to shumidrives:

Ivy runners on Limestone when nothing else could be found. Working on the Psychological runner Principle, and the hope itll at Least slow you down.
 Alex Riley 04 Dec 2013
An offset half wedged in a horizontal slate break behind a wobbly block on gnat attack at Bus Stop Quarry. It popped as soon as I clipped the bolt, but it worked for the head.
 AlanLittle 04 Dec 2013
In reply to Alex Riley:

If that's the block I'm thinking of, once upon a time it wasn't wobbly and I thought the placement was fairly good.

The OP one looks fine too.

I took my first ever leader fall on a Baby MOAC placed sideways, which I thought was well dodgy until it stopped me.
 Reach>Talent 04 Dec 2013
In reply to shumidrives:

Looks bomb proof to me

roperat 04 Dec 2013
In reply to shumidrives:

I know a bloke who has demonstrated abseiling from a frozen rabbit buried in snow. The same bloke has abseiled from a plastic bottle wedged in a crack.

With abseiling its all about the friction though, with (hopefully) no dynamic forces.
 ianstevens 04 Dec 2013
In reply to Chris Sansum:

A friend of mine fell on one of those bad boys once, and somehow it held. Admittedly he had placed it in a manner more similar to that of a peg, but still...

Also, another friend placed an Easter egg (put a sling around it) on an easy lead. Admittedly more for fun than as any form of serious pro!
 ianstevens 04 Dec 2013
In reply to roperat:

> I know a bloke who has demonstrated abseiling from a frozen rabbit buried in snow.

A frozen Mars bar also does a good job.

kyaizawa 04 Dec 2013
In reply to shumidrives:

Placing wires on either side of a loose chockstone and clipping both to the same draw... in theory both wires and the chockstone should stay in place. Never tested it though!!
 neuromancer 04 Dec 2013
In reply to shumidrives:
In reply to shumidrives:

I took a sixish metre whipper off barbarian at tremadog onto a nut key placed as a piton?
Post edited at 16:57
In reply to shumidrives:

I think this was done a while back.
 ianstevens 04 Dec 2013
In reply to neuromancer:

It was you I was referring to further up...
 neuromancer 04 Dec 2013
In reply to ianstevens:

Teach me not to read the thread properly.
OP shumidrives 04 Dec 2013
In reply to shumidrives:

do nut keys actually have a rating?
 Mr. Lee 04 Dec 2013
In reply to shumidrives:

Frozen malt loaf with sling wrapped around it. The only thing that will get you out of trouble when your number 9 Rockcentric is too small.
 CurlyStevo 05 Dec 2013
In reply to alexcollins123:

but you could have got several other hex placements in that crack including by the looks of it that hex sideways (like a fist jam) and the hex pretty much as its it but loaded against the side the nut is touching ( ie the wider of the two normal ways of placing a hex (rather than a sideways placement))
 alexcollins123 05 Dec 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Oh yeah, how could I forget... I know, instead of going for the bomber placement by turning my hex sideways, i'll just stack a dodgy nut ontop of it....

It didnt fit that way.
 CurlyStevo 05 Dec 2013

Perhaps you didn't have the right size hex but I would definitely have got a non stacked hex placement in the crack one way or another and looking at the wear on the crack it looks like a lot of other people have too for many many years!

BnB 05 Dec 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Maybe he'd already used the appropriate-sized hex in a better placement lower down the pitch...
 jkarran 05 Dec 2013
In reply to shumidrives:

Actually dodgiest: No idea really, probably something that would have brought debris down on me and the rope had I fallen on it, cams behind blocks, loose spikes and threads or something that causes the rope to run over/into something sharp or pinchy. There've been a few but one I recall clearly is a nest of nuts and hooks behind/over a blocky shale ledge I was stood on. The ledge seemed somehow wrong and it spooked me, I whimpered for a rescue and bailed. A year later with roles reversed Aly was stood in the same place in the same situation with the same gear when my suspicions were confirmed, the ledge disintegrated and took a dive bursting on the rocks beside me. Luckily Aly stayed put as most of the gear came down with the ledge.

Stacked nuts look unorthodox but are often solid so long as they're set well and left undisturbed.

I'm not convinced by stacking hexes against cams, I'm sure they can be persuaded to stay put for aid or fun but I'd not waste my time placing them for protection.

jk
 CurlyStevo 05 Dec 2013
In reply to jkarran:

"I'm not convinced by stacking hexes against cams, I'm sure they can be persuaded to stay put for aid or fun but I'd not waste my time placing them for protection."

never say never I think it all depends how far away your last gear was, how far away your next gear is and how likely you are to get a better placement with the gear you may use in the stack.
 Blue Straggler 05 Dec 2013
In reply to shumidrives:

A DMM 3CU , the smaller one (blue), with only 2 of the three lobes touching anything. In fairness it was safe stuff, a borderline UK 5b/5c move (tricky for me!) but just above a nice grassy ledge.

A tri-cam, I think the brown one, where the bulk of the body was out in the air, there was a bit of the "point" and a tiny bit of one of the curved "rails" making contact. I may as well not have bothered, but we were having tri-cam fun The irony is that the route (in Gozo) was graded VS but had been retrobolted but we didn't know this and I kept pondering "why is there a bolt there?" instead of just clipping them. There's ethics for you!

Oh and the infamous "Tall Clare lying in a shallow ditch" as a belay anchor on Trungel Crack at Shining Clough.
OP shumidrives 05 Dec 2013
In reply to shumidrives:

I suppose you could say worst could be any peice that didn't hold
 digby 06 Dec 2013

> Was bomber!

A thing of beauty. I'd have been proud of that.
 GridNorth 06 Dec 2013
In reply to digby:

Great in theory but I would like to see someone rigging that while hanging on for dear life with one hand
 digby 06 Dec 2013
In reply to GridNorth:

> Great in theory but I would like to see someone rigging that while hanging on for dear life with one hand

Why would you be hanging on for dear life? It's obviously a ledge of some size and a belay placement!
 gethin_allen 06 Dec 2013

Where is that placement? I'm pretty sure I recognise it, and if it is where I think it is you can place a purple size 9 hex sideways and it holds beautifully.
 ezzpbee 08 Dec 2013
In reply to shumidrives:

Early this year my mate had a tape around an ice column less than an inch thick to do the crux move as he only had one screw left to keep for the belay.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...