UKC

Where to start?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Cal03 04 Dec 2013

Hi there!
I'm interested in starting climbing, however I don't know where to start. I've found a few indoor climbing walls near by, but I wouldn't want to just go there and climb without any direction. Can anybody recommend a place near Portsmouth that could help set me on my way?

What's the best way to improve and develop?

Thanks,

Callum
Post edited at 18:06
 The Potato 04 Dec 2013
In reply to Cal03:

most climbing walls have an instructor available and you can book a few sessions for climbing instruction. Find one you fancy and phone them to ask. Its the best way to start if you dont have any friends who also climb.
 Jordangask 05 Dec 2013
In reply to Cal03:

I agree with Cal although i'd also try keeping an eye on the partner section of the forum... You never know, you may find someone else in your position who would like someone to climb with. If not then there's always a chance someone who knows what they're doing wouldn't mind going with you for a few sessions!
 jack_44 05 Dec 2013
In reply to Cal03:

Keep an eye out for any local climbing clubs as well. You can find a club via the BMC website.
 tlm 05 Dec 2013
In reply to Cal03:

Here's a map for finding clubs near to you...

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/map
 MikaelGlazier 05 Dec 2013
In reply to Cal03:

Hi when I was living in fareham I went to Alton wall a few times - Calshots not bad either and thats only in southampton. (I know its soton!) Alton MC climb at the alton wall and I met up with them once or twice they were quite helpful.

Hope this helps

Mikael
 mrdigitaljedi 06 Dec 2013
In reply to Cal03:

most indoor walls have facebook pages and also belay buddies section might be worth looking on them.
 Otis 06 Dec 2013
In reply to Cal03:

See if you can round up a few friends and then book yourselves on a taster session, or coaching coarse at your local wall. Although climbing is a great way to meet new friends, it'll be great fun trying something new with your existing mates - you'll have a great laugh, spur each other on and (if they stick with it) you'll all have some regular partners on hand of a similar ability.

Mike.

PS A warm welcome to the world of climbing too..... it's fab

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...