UKC

Linux trouble

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
cb294 05 Dec 2013
Hi,

any Linux experts in the house?

I have spent last night trying to install Linux Mint 15 KDE from a live DVD onto a new, OS-less Lenovo G500 notebook I bought for my kids.

The computer boots from the live CD, goes through the installation procedure, but refuses to boot from the hard disk after restart.

First attempt yielded the response "Linux mint blocked by current security policy" and a continuous loop of booting/aborting/message.

After booting from DVD and reformatting I made a second attempt to install and got the boot process to start Grub, but it froze there. Rebooting from DVD was again no problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Christian
Shearwater 05 Dec 2013
Sounds like its a UEFI bootloader security wossname. The boot sequence is demanding a signed OS boot image... stuff like Windows 8 provides that, but Linux generally will not.

Have a look at this, which includes some instructions on how to disable secure boot: http://askubuntu.com/questions/345307/installing-ubuntu-12-04-on-a-lenovo-g...
 ByEek 05 Dec 2013
In reply to cb294:

Lenovo have a habit of customising their hardware to make your life easier... (harder). This may only the first of many problems you encounter.
 kathrync 05 Dec 2013
In reply to Shearwater:

> Sounds like its a UEFI bootloader security wossname. The boot sequence is demanding a signed OS boot image... stuff like Windows 8 provides that, but Linux generally will not.

Yep, sounds about right. Disabling secure-boot should see you right.

One other potential problem that may be a concern if the machine has had Windows on it in the past is that the EFI partition can be locked as well. The only way I have found to get round that is to back up anything that is in it elsewhere and reformat the partition from your Live CD before transferring the backed-up stuff back into it. However, if the computer is genuinely lacking an OS and has never had one, I don't think this should be an issue
cb294 05 Dec 2013
In reply to everyone:

Thanks for the quick advice!

CB

cb294 06 Dec 2013
In reply to everyone:

Problem fixed, thanks again!

CB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...