UKC

The Roaches or Western Grit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi All

Any recommendations on eith The Roaches or Western Grit guidebooks for beginner trad?

Thanks muchly
Post edited at 10:29
 Offwidth 05 Dec 2013
In reply to ivebittenoffmorethanicanstu:

If that is your base you intend to climb most get the BMC definitives. Rockfax is good on the popular crags but currently less relaible elsewhere for the lower grades. Many people have both sets and the VG selective guide which gives advice for lower grade climbers.
 Otis 05 Dec 2013

It sounds like we're climbing at a reasonably similar level. I've got the Rockfax Western Grit book and have been more than happy with it and it works for me. It's dead easy to spot the lower grade routes as the routes are colour coded with colours that actually look different (not a feature of every guide book I've looked at so far!).

Best advice though is pop into your local shop and see skim through both books. See which offers the most suitable coverage for the areas you're interested in and see which format/style works best for you.

Mike.

thanks both, most appreciated
 CurlyStevo 05 Dec 2013

the new roaches guide is lovely to use, if you intend to climb there a lot I'd get that as it gives you more options once there than the selective guide.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 05 Dec 2013
In reply to Otis:

> It sounds like we're climbing at a reasonably similar level. I've got the Rockfax Western Grit book and have been more than happy with it and it works for me. It's dead easy to spot the lower grade routes as the routes are colour coded with colours that actually look different (not a feature of every guide book I've looked at

> Mike.

Thanks for the kind words, it is always appreciated

Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...