UKC

Falklands / Ascension Islands

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alex the Alex 05 Dec 2013
Hi all,

Iv got the good fortune to be spending a couple of days in the falklands and on Ascension Island in a month or two and was wondering whether there was any easily accessible climbing on the islands at all? I would likely be traveling light also so was hoping to perhaps get in touch with someone, maybe military, who might be keen to climb/ have a little kit?

Alternatively would any geology bods be able to interpret this map in any way regarding climbable volcanic rock?

http://mcee.ou.edu/bweaver/Ascension/aigeolmp.htm

many thanks,

Alex
 Firestarter 05 Dec 2013
In reply to Alex the Alex:

Personally I don't know of any climbing on Ascension, but you can do the letterboxes on each peak - there are rubber stamps in each one for marking a logbook to show you've done them. I would be wary of attempting climbing there any way, nearest A & E an 8 hour flight (assuming there's an aircraft there to take you).
aultguish 05 Dec 2013
In reply to Firestarter:

That brought back a wee memory of toddling up Green Mountain(?) and signing the wee book many moons ago
Can't remember any climbs on Ascension but a lot of the rock was quite sharp volcanic rock anyway. Admittedly we were there diving, so my eyes were not hunting for crags.
I'm sure there'll be stuff to do on the Falklands, ask the local Bennies when you get there. There'll definitely be plenty bouldering but have a chat with a Military rep on arrival, about minefields, as old munitions have a habit of resurfacing after years in the soil.
Enjoy, both places are fantastic and the wildlife is amazing
OP Alex the Alex 05 Dec 2013
In reply to aultguish:

Cheers guys. I got the impression that the rock on Ascension was less than ideal... But as you say, the diving should more than make up for it! I wasn't intending on doing anything ridiculous, but yes the rescue services are another factor. I guess its a case of pack my shoes and see what happens.
 nawface 06 Dec 2013

hi.

there is climbing on the Falklands but it's not great. dodgy rock.

way better things to do there. day trip or overnight to sealion island, get 4x4 and a guide for the day. loads, really cool place with a wild coastline.
 Alan Breck 06 Dec 2013
In reply to Alex the Alex: have a look at Dave Whalley's blog I seem to remember that he did something while in the Falklands. He should be worth an e-mail.

OP Alex the Alex 06 Dec 2013
In reply to Alan Breck:

Thanks Alan. Iv had a look through Whalley's blog. Enjoyed it very much, however he appears to have stuck to mostly winter climbs. I may take the others advice though and look at what else the islands offer. Though im sure i can find something to muck about on whilst there.
 Hazie 06 Dec 2013

There is good climbing in the falklands. I did some new routing back in the early 90's. The Antartic Survey guy's also climbed there. Best rout was "Vostoc" a *** VS lead by Donald Stewart in the late 80's. In the early 90's one of the Miletary guy's produced a loose leaf guide book, I may be able to PDF it for you. The bouldering on Mount Pleasant is very good, there is a 40m slab of very clean rock 5 mins from the Stanley - MPA road. The rock is a hard quatzitic sandstone. On one side giving bold slab climbing and on the other well protected steep jug pulling.
Very good diving (loads of wrecks) and also windsurfing.
 jon59 06 Dec 2013

Ive got an old copy from 2003 co written by Andy Kirkpatricks brother, the climbing around MPC is ok for a couple of visits. The best climbing on the island is on Mt Harriet as already mentioned, the upto date guide is held in the main Gym of Mount Pleasant RAF base. The ridge lines up to mt Longdon provide some excellent scrambling sport.
OP Alex the Alex 06 Dec 2013
In reply to Hazie:

The PDF would be fantastic! But dont worry too much if you cant find it. Looks like bouldering or a bit of easy padding up the slabs will be the best answer. Getting excited now!
 milus 07 Dec 2013
In reply to jon59:

I was stationed there for 6 months with the RAF in 2003 and did quite a lot of new-routing with a guy called Mike Formby. Mike put together a digital guide which he left with the Mount Pleasant Gym - I suspect you may be referring to that, and although I share Andy Kirkpatrick's surname, we are not related! However I take it as flattery, as he is no doubt a far better climber than I! We concentrated on a cliff on Mount Challenger, 70m high in places and about 100m long. Loose rock in places, as expected, but some good climbing in a great location.We also put some routes up on Mount Pleasant, mostly short boulder-type problems, but one or two longer routes.
I agree that Vostock, on Mount Harriet, is a great route and well worth its 3 stars.
Another who put some new routes up there is Terry Moore (ex-RAFMRT) who was there a couple of years before I went.
I also spent time on Ascension Island and agree the rock is not conducive to climbing - the diving, though, is excellent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...