UKC

Thailand rock climbing trip in jan (ao nang)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mugglewump 05 Dec 2013
Hi there I'm planning on a trip to thailand in January, my main aim is to climb as much as possible over the ten day trip. Flights are proving to be quite expensive so a package seems to be the way forwards. I gather krabi is a good area to climb, as we are on a bit of a budget ao nang is coming up as an option. Has any body out there based themselves there to climb? Or have any must go places. Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
 Lakesben 05 Dec 2013
In reply to mugglewump:

Probably worth reading this thread and searching UKC for tonsai, a lot has been written about it on here

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=545651
OP mugglewump 06 Dec 2013
In reply to Lakesben:

Thanks very much!
 georgehumphery 07 Dec 2013
In reply to mugglewump:

go the chaing mai!!!! amazing climbing seen run out of the climbing shop and much cheaper than the south of Thailandhttp://www.thailandclimbing.com
 Coops_13 07 Dec 2013
In reply to mugglewump:

Stay in Tonsai, you can walk to almost all crags. If you stay in Ao Nang, you'd have to get a boat in to the crags each day = ballache
 1234None 08 Dec 2013
In reply to mugglewump:

Staying in Ao Nang is a good option - especially if you are happy riding a moped. You can take day trips over to the Railay and Tonsai crags, plus also ride out to some of the newer crags that are close to Ao Nang. I personally thought that Chong Pli was a great spot. Also, you can access Vinland walking from Ao Nang, plus a handful of other crags with a short ride on the moped. Consider a few days on Koh Yao too - much quieter over there - possible to ride over on the scooter (you will need to lift it on to the boat) - amazing climbing, especially the Mitt.

Enjoy! I will be there from 25th Jan onwards so get in touch if you are still there at that point and we can meet and climb.
 1234None 08 Dec 2013
In reply to mugglewump:

Forgot to also say that staying in Ao Nang will allow you to really explore the area's non-climbing stuff. It is a beautiful area with lots of Thai culture, which you really wont experience if you stay over in Railay or Tonsai! Ao Nang itself is pretty touristy but in a 20 min moped ride you can really see the real rural Southern Thailand. Enjoy!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...