UKC

MTB hydration pack recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LastBoyScout 05 Dec 2013
Hi,

I'm in the market for a new MTB rucksack, as the zip on my trusty Salomon one is dying, so I'm using the opportunity to justify something a bit bigger for all day rides.

I'm after something about the size a Camelbak M.U.L.E, but the Osprey ones look pretty good, too.

Doesn't need to come with a bladder - I've got several of them anyway.

If it makes any difference, I've got a short-ish back length.

Cheers,

johnj 05 Dec 2013
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Hello, if this is any good to you, you can have it for free, I was just going to put it on ebay for 99p auction, it's brand new and about the size of the original mule. I got it for free as part of the stuff you get on the Passportes du soleil mtb event in Chambery 2012, it would just cost £3 to post.

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af189/simpsonandsonseng/SAM_1263_zps96c...
http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af189/simpsonandsonseng/SAM_1262_zps5e2...
 balmybaldwin 05 Dec 2013

Ive got an osprey, and ihas some very good features, however the raptor model I have does not allow for sticky out vertebrae and rubs the skin raw, so make sure you try it on in cycling position.
johnj 05 Dec 2013
In reply to johnj:

pack above has now gone to new owner. cheers
OP LastBoyScout 06 Dec 2013
In reply to johnj:

Thanks for the offer - didn't like the pattern, though.
 martinph78 06 Dec 2013

MULE, job done. I've had the original MULE for over ten years and it's as tough as they come.
 Dangerous Dave 06 Dec 2013

I have had a mule for over 5 years and it is still going strong. Has been used loads and landed on a lot! Can't go wrong. The EVOC ones with built in back protectors are also worth a look.
Cambridge-Climber 06 Dec 2013
In reply to LastBoyScout: Lezyne packs were very well designed, helped to be super organised, but now discontinued.

I use a small Hydrapak (soquel)for rides in summer and a larger evoc (FR Trail) pack for winter and longer rides where I want to carry a little more "just in case". The large hydrapaks are very good, but I wanted something a little more bling to go with my Yeti!

Both use the hydrapak bladders which I have found to be the easiest of any bladder I've ever owned to clean. You can turn them inside out rather than buying a stupid "drying rack".

Many pack manufacturers use them in their own packs, Evoc, Da Kine for example.

ChrisJD 06 Dec 2013

I've gone from Camelbacks to Osprey:

Got two:

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/group/hydration_packs__osprey_hydraulics_1/ze...

The Zealot is big - probably too big for most rides. Didn't find the back system that comfortable.

But this is my favourite biking pack ever - Raptor 14:

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/mens_1/raptor_14_1

The loading system for the Balder is just so brilliant. Soft, comfortable and just enough room for day and night riding. The bladder system with magnetic clip on chest strap works very well.
 ChrisJD 06 Dec 2013

(my previous pack was a Mule)
Andy4 06 Dec 2013

I would recommend an company called wing nut.Really basic design but keeps the load lower down,does not move around when cycling.

I have used and still have the osprey (various options),the osprey has a lot more better features and build quality is a lot better,i just find it moves around a bit too much and seems to sit on my back,where as the wing nut seems to fit with your body.

Now it does not have compartments and you have to pack carefully,but once you get the hang of its great….Maybe not the best advertising for it,but swear by them.
OP LastBoyScout 06 Dec 2013
In reply to ChrisJD:

The Raptor ones look pretty good - had a close inspection of one while rammed in London underground last week. I like the helmet clip on them, too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...