UKC

Rope for sport climbing when travelling

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Paulos 05 Dec 2013
I'm going traveling on my own and plan to stop by a well-known sport climbing destination and hope to find partners easily. I'm not sure whether or not to take my rope due to the weight, if I can get away with using other peoples, as i'm doing other traveling not involving climbing. I was thinking of just taking my harness, quickdraws, grigri, shoes etc. Is taking a rope necessary? Advice would be greatly appreciated as I've not climbed outside UK before.
In reply to Paulos:

If you aren't taking a rope you can drop the quickdraws aswell.

How long are you travelling for, how long are you climbing for, how far and how are you travelling.. which climbing venue and when will you be there?
 Ben07 05 Dec 2013
In reply to Paulos:

is this a top secret well known sport climbing destination???
OP Paulos 05 Dec 2013
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):

Thanks a lot for your replies. I was planning on climbing in Thailand, probably Railay peninsula. I think I will be there 3-4 weeks. Cheers
 wkrzys 06 Dec 2013
In reply to Paulos:

Not necessary there as many people who will have one but they are also more likely to have brought a partner with them you'll find it easier to get a partner if you do as a lot of people don't bring rope.

Just be aware of people with no rope saying they can climb and have little experience - average belay skills are terrible.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...