UKC

Marillion

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 06 Dec 2013
Found my old Marillion CDs in the garage, much to my daughters dismay, so gave them a whirl for old times sakes.

Had forgotten how good they were (don't care much for post Fish Marillion) and kept playing my favourites, Warm wet circles, Easter and Tux on. WWC guitar music must have had the desired affect, daughter kept saying, play that Pink Floyd guitar song again!

youtube.com/watch?v=DozRR0nYV3w&

youtube.com/watch?v=34A63TzrZGE&
 Owen W-G 06 Dec 2013
In reply to Denni:

Poor man's Simple Minds
 ring ouzel 06 Dec 2013
In reply to Denni:

Excellent band! Dont know their post-Fish stuff so much but the Fish years were good.
 ring ouzel 06 Dec 2013
In reply to Owen W-G:

Rubbish! Poor man's Genesis maybe?
 Sl@te Head 06 Dec 2013
In reply to Denni:

I saw them live a few times back in the day, sad they didn't last really though I barely listen to them anymore.
 abr1966 06 Dec 2013
In reply to Denni:

As a youth i thought there lyrics were deep! Now i realise they were just crap!!
 shaggypops 06 Dec 2013
In reply to Denni:

Listening to 'A feast of consequences' by Fish right now.....tiz his best by far solo album with snippets of Marillion days
Bingers 06 Dec 2013
In reply to Denni:

I went to see Marillion a few years ago in France. They didn't play a single Fish-era song - very disappointed. The guitarist chappie had put on a stone or two.
 kwoods 06 Dec 2013
In reply to Bingers:
They seem to play a bit more of the early stuff now, they're known for that. (shameless plug, check out my band who play the old stuff: youtube.com/watch?v=gCl5bGBnfFQ& )

If I haven't listened to early Marillion in a while I forget how good they are, and when it comes back to listening to them, some of the early period is absolutely incredible; Incubus, Hotel Hobbies, Blind Curve to name a few.
 DancingOnRock 06 Dec 2013
In reply to Denni:
17 studio albums and 7 live albums. Must be doing something right. The whole crowd funding thing was a great idea. I'm not sure that they invented it but they've certainly made it work.

I've got the first 4 studio albums, the 6th and 7th, together with a Picture Disc of Real to Reel. I didn't think Misplaced Childhood was that great but a few great tracks on it. Clutching at Straws was very good but Fish's demons were very evident in the lyrics. I missed out Seasons End and then my favourite album has got to be Holidays in Eden. I bought a CD player and started buying CDs at about that time. I have Brave but nothing since, I kind of moved away from the neo-prog music by then.
Post edited at 18:48
In reply to Denni:

"I used to be the drummer in Marrillion," classic line that.
 Bulls Crack 07 Dec 2013
In reply to Owen W-G:

> Poor man's Simple Minds

eh?!

A confused man's Simple Minds maybe!

Ersatz Genesis
In reply to Denni:

Agreed. "Script for a Jester's Tear' is more Genesis than Genesis were at that time, and all the better for it.

Saw them live on the Jester's Tear tour, only went as they were being supported by Peter Hammil, they were amusing enough.
 Bulls Crack 08 Dec 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

> Agreed. "Script for a Jester's Tear' is more Genesis than Genesis were at that time, and all the better for it.

I just thought they were a dreadful pastiche - however insipid the real Genesis had become!

nastyned 08 Dec 2013
In reply to Denni:

I saw them back in the Fish era and thought they were great. I didn't get the Genesis connection at the time they didn't sound anything like Phil Collins. Having heard some Peter Gabriel era Genesis since I now understand what people meant.
 johnhowell 08 Dec 2013
In reply to Denni:

Funny you should say that. I used to love them, saw them numerous times when Fish was with them, and I listened to Fugazi and Misplaced Childhood for the first time in years the other day...
And its still f**king awesome! I don't care if other people don't get it and many don't, taste is subjective.
The lyrics especially are pure poetry - the angst, the anger, the fear, the desperation, all the emotion that is conveyed is just brilliant.
 Bulls Crack 09 Dec 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Just tried again but nope: still can't listen to them
 coinneach 09 Dec 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack:

I used to quite enjoy their stuff.

I will "spotify" tomorrow and report back.

wilkie14c 09 Dec 2013
In reply to Denni:

For the last time everyone - they are called Maillons. Use the bloody search function!

toad 10 Dec 2013
In reply to Denni:

I have a big soft spot for "old" marillion, as it coincided with my late teens as an insecure rock geek. Script is forever associated with Winter and cold bedsits in rainy midlands towns.

However as it happens I've been listening to a lot of recent Marillion in the last few months and really enjoying it. A completely different band from a music perspective, if not from a personnel view, but yeah I like it, and I think I'm looking forward to seeing them at Cropredy next year.

Mr Rothery does seem to have been on a pie 'n' lard diet of late though (late being since I last saw them in 198something)
 wilkie14c 10 Dec 2013
In reply to toad:

Anyone heard Fish's album - Virgil in a wilderness of mirrors??

I quite liked it
 toad 10 Dec 2013
In reply to wilkie14c:
> (In reply to toad)
>
> Anyone heard Fish's album - Virgil in a wilderness of mirrors??
>
> I quite liked it

oddly enough, I have it on vinyl somewhere. Seem to remember it was dissed by hardcore rockers for having the temerity to use a brass section on Big Wedge! Haven't played it in years
 wilkie14c 10 Dec 2013
In reply to toad: get it out man! you know you want to....

In reply to Denni:

This world is totally Fugazi....
 Dauphin 13 Dec 2013
In reply to toad:
Got dragged to see them at Manchester in 1999, almost had fisticuffs with a couple of pricks in the audience when I heckled Hogarth with "Show us your Stylophone, Rolf!"

Bits & pieces of them are still okay. Short melodic numbers rather than the melodramatic love-lorn extended wank poems.

D
Post edited at 13:18
 Bobling 07 Jan 2014
In reply to Denni:

This thread has inspired me to dig out my old stuff and I'm amazed at how mugh I am enjoying it - I wonder if this is partly because I know it backwards and also probably because it reminds me of a time when I was between about 10 and 13 when life was so much simpler and consisted of a one hour on two hours off rotation playing computer games with my brothers and painting miniatures when it was not my turn on Wolfenstein 3D!

Strange to listen to the lyrics (well when I can hear them) and actually understand what he is going on about, even if it is all a bit (over) wrought, god knows what my adolescent self thought it was all about.
 Blue Straggler 07 Jan 2014
In reply to Bobling:
> a one hour on two hours off rotation playing computer games with my brothers and painting miniatures when it was not my turn on Wolfenstein 3D!

If a sophisticated algorithm could analyse music and generate a profile for fans of that music, you could feed in Marillion and it would come up with....YOU

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...