UKC

FRI NI VID: Bransby on Parthian Shot and Cook on New Statesman

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 06 Dec 2013
Ben Bransby high on his re-ascent of Parthian Shot, 3 kb

"Watch Ben Bransby make the first ascent of Parthian Shot since the infamous "shipwreck of a flake" was damaged. A great short film, jointly produced by Ben Pritchard and Nick Brown."

Also continuing the gritstone theme is this great video - Jacob Cook climbing The New Statesman at Ilkley.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68570
Ackbar 06 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Scary. The footage on top rope makes it look ok but on the lead, it looks so awkward getting over that bulge.
 orge 06 Dec 2013
Harrowing! :o
In reply to orge:

Stunning video. Really well captured and a great ascent. My feet were squirming during that foot swap.

Alan
 Giles Davis 06 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC News:

What's the music on the Jacob Cook Vid (when he's climbing the route)?
In reply to UKC News:

Second video is excellent as well.

It is great to hear climbers talking about their ascents in films, it makes the videos so much more interesting.

Alan
 Kafoozalem 06 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Ben on Parthian Shot is the best short film I've seen in a very long time. Totally gripping.
 jon 06 Dec 2013
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Yes, excellent again. Is the jump the normal start?
 Nic 06 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Blinkin'flip...that top bit looks steeper than it usually does on video of previous ascents?

Is it me, or is this a slightly different sequence to Johnny Dawes on Stone Monkey and (I think?) Seb Grieve? I am sure they used some "minging sloper" out right somewhere. Could well be imagining this as I suspect there are only just enough holds anyway!
 remus Global Crag Moderator 06 Dec 2013
In reply to Nic:

> Is it me, or is this a slightly different sequence to Johnny Dawes on Stone Monkey and (I think?) Seb Grieve? I am sure they used some "minging sloper" out right somewhere. Could well be imagining this as I suspect there are only just enough holds anyway!

Pretty sure you're right. If I remember correctly Seb does a drop knee thing and sort of swings his right hand into the pocket. Perhaps it's a height thing, Seb's fairly tall sin't he? and Ben is shorter in stature?
 orge 06 Dec 2013
Yes, I thought Ben's sequence looked different (harder)!

J
pandarendermore 06 Dec 2013
In reply to Giles Davis:

Have updated the Info for the video with the music track on Abstract Normality Media's Vimeo page...

Apologies for not listing, forgot...
 Duck Egg 07 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC News:

I think that was the most tense bit of climbing footage I've ever watched. Brilliant. Very impressive climbing and film-making. Well done.
 Nic_Sandy 07 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC News:

I love hard grit movies. The foot change bit is scary in the armchair never mind being there! Totally awesome route. Its inspirational too watch these guys. Awesome effort.
In reply to UKC News:

Wow ..... awesome footage .... (Sorry Jacob ... Only watched the Parthian bit .....)...... How scary was that ??? full respect to Caff and Ben .... Just how close were you to pinging off Ben during that 'foot swap' ????... wow .... phew ... Absolutely awesome ......
 Giles Davis 07 Dec 2013
In reply to pandarendermore:

Cheers
In reply to UKC News:

What a great video! That foot swap looked seriously scary.
 Jon Stewart 07 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Great video, incredibly tense to watch.
 royal 07 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC News:

That was gripping!
king tubby 08 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC News:

really good film that. pats on the back to everyone involved. more content before edits like this please, filmmakers
 Rassapotimus 08 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC News:
Cripes that foot swap was tense and that was just to watch, amazing! vids like that, with insight are what we need more of!
Post edited at 01:07
 Duck Egg 08 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Watching this again I reckon that the lack of music coupled with the camera angle on the foot swap help to ratchet up the tension. It has the effect of putting you right there at the crag, and almost in the position of the belayer.
 TonyG 09 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Another vote for this being one of the finest short climbing movies around... Absolutely gripping... The foot-swap moment felt like it lasted for hours! Hats off to you, Ben, and everyone involved
In reply to UKC News:
...and the crowd went quiet, except for Clem that is. Bad place to fall from, good effort Ben.
 Mark Collins 09 Dec 2013
In reply to jon:

> Yes, excellent again. Is the jump the normal start?

Not that I'm aware of, makes you wonder if something's fallen off the normal start. Although, that jump start looks harder to me. Shame they couldn't follow him in with the camera like in that Bourne Ultimatum stunt, or is that too Hollywood.
 The Pylon King 09 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Yes, a great video of a truly terrifying ascent. Well done Ben.

This vid could have so easily been totaly destroyed by gimmicky editing and overpowering music.

This is how it is done.
 Team BMC 11 Dec 2013
In reply to:

Watch the full-length interview with Ben here:

http://tv.thebmc.co.uk/video/ben-bransby-on-parthian-shot-interview?current...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...