UKC

Anyone recommend a good waterproof shell jacket?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Aurora 13 Sep 2003
I,ll shortly be leaving for a 3 month expedition to Chile/patagonia, & need a good waterproof outer-shell jacket that is going to keep me dry & last for 3 months.

I was on my way to buy the Keela munro jacket, but after hearing a few bad reviews of its performance i,ve deceided not to.

So can anyone recommend a good jacket for about £100-£150, thats going to last???
Aimee Dean 13 Sep 2003
In reply to Aurora:

I'm currently using a "borrowed" North Face Mountain Jacket, which i think is excellent. You won't find one new for £150, but you may be able to pick up a decent second hand.

Adam Lincoln was selling one over on the Fore Sale/Wanted forum if its any help.
 The Lemming 13 Sep 2003
In reply to Aurora:

I have lived day-in-day out a Foraker Lowe Alpine Jacket since 1998 and I can't kill the bloody thing. I've taken it to the alps but mostly used it wvwer day on the hill and around the shops in the UK.

I have recently bought a Berghause Sulivan jacket. Exceptionally breathable but with no frills, just two pockets. No map pocket or such like. It's 3 layer and I think it should last as long as tripple point.

Hope this helps.
 Escher 13 Sep 2003
In reply to Aurora: I have a medium North Face Guide jacket - Goretex - in blue, is a few of years old and is in excellent condition. Includes snow skirt, chest vent zips and so on £140 ono including postage. Let me know if you are interested.

cheers
Escher
Stranger 13 Sep 2003
Buy Trail magazine, their always doing tests on jackets and like, compareing and putting them through there paces.
 Allan Thomson 13 Sep 2003
I have a shell by a firm called Target Dry. It cost about £50. Its endorsed by the D of E scheme. I think that the idea behind it is that you can get a great jacket, for a reasonable price.

It is made from a waterproof and breathable material (which is 'hard', rather than the easily ripped soft stuff) It has a zip on (+ rollable when its in place) full face hood (I mean including that bit you can pull around the front to keep the hood down), netting lining (greater breathability.), loads of pockets, velcro cuffs, ventilation zips, Shock cords on the hood, waist, and base of the coat, little clips onto which you can attach gloves when your not wearing them, Velour lined collar (so it keeps the draughts out). There are also zips so you can zip in a fleece, velcro fastening double storm flap over the zip, plus a piece inside at the neck to prevent rain entering when the neck of the jacket is open.

My only criticisms of it are, that it doesn't have a neck drawcord, and there are no bottom press studs which would be handy, as sometimes the bottom of the storm flap opens if the cords are tight , as the zip ends a few centimeters from the bottom of the coat, and there is only velcro in place. Still you can't have everything, and apart from that, I am highly satisfied with my shell. All for a great price (I should review and sell gear for an outdoor magazine!).
 Allan Thomson 13 Sep 2003
sorry I should have put this in the last bit, but I have had mine for about 4 years, and it is still as good as new (apart from the mud spattered over it, which would happen with any coat).
 Timmd 13 Sep 2003
In reply to Aurora:The Mountain Equipment Makalu got best in test and best value in this months Trail Magazine,and costs 180.The female tester said her large size was huge,but it got excellent choice for year round use if it fits from her.
I have the Changabang(sp) which is the model up i think,and it seems well made,and Mountain Eqipment jackets seem to get good reviews for fit and hood,and the Makalu got a high tear stregnth rating in this months review,if it fits i guess it's a good buy.Though mountain Range gear is good i think,but i've never tried any of their Jackets,but i think it's well made.And might be cheaper.

hope to help,
Tim
OP Doughboy 13 Sep 2003
In reply to Aurora: If you can afford it, the Macpac Prophet is definately the bomb IMO.

-------
Prophet

Unquestionable performance and functionality deliver comfort and protection for mountaineering trips.

Weight 740 grams
Fabric GORE-TEX® XCR® Extramadura, Absolute & Viper
Colours Steel/Slate
Indicator/Slate

Gore-Tex® XCR® Viper stretch panels
Water-resistant pit zips and chest pocket zips
Volume controlled hood with stretch panel
Offset full length front zip
Double storm flaps
Full internal waistcord
Drawcord hem
Internal zipped mesh pocket
Gore-Tex® XCR® Viper stretch cuffs
Altimeter pocket
Articulated sleeves
Microtherm ™ lined face panels

pic here: http://www.macpac.co.nz/images/product_images/PHT3.jpg

John Mulhern 13 Sep 2003
The Karrimor Phantom. Made from goretex paclite and costs £150. Its got good reviews from the mags as well.
Chris Moody 13 Sep 2003
In reply to Aurora: I can recommend the Target Dry jkt as well, I've had mine for about three months and it is performing very well. At the price you wouldn't be arsed about 'losing' it abroad either. Have a look for a company called Bradsport as well, I also have a shell by them. Its as close to a Sprayway torridon as you will get, at about half the price, which will fit into your price range.
OP Nick in darlo 14 Sep 2003
I'm a little suspicous of target dry stuff, their main source of trade is in "pakka mac" stuff for tourists. there's a lot of lowe alpine stuff on offer at the moment, as they're allegedly ditching triplepoint, so if you can get a triplepoint ceramic jacket on the cheap then you'll be sorted for years to come. CCC in sheffield/hathersage (and on the net) has a lot of rab stuff on the cheap at the moment, their "downpour" stuff like the Jannu is top gear. You're better off doing your research and getting top end stuff on the cheap than buying low cost stuff that's cheap for a reason.
OP Nick in darlo 14 Sep 2003
Some of the light weight jackets these days are quite gucci, something like the Rab Positron would serve you well, try: http://www.rockrun.com/shop/prod.html?d=1&t=87&p=2146&sid=6fcc2...
 Bruce Hooker 14 Sep 2003
In reply to Nick in darlo:

Extreme clothing have been recommended by some recently, although opinion seems to be mixed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...