UKC

Growing plants indoor over winter?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kemics 07 Dec 2013
Any green finger types able to offer some advice?

Is it possible to grow anything from seed over winter? I've got a warm house with a big south facing window. Does a plant 'know' it's winter or will it just respond to acceptable growing conditions. I was thinking of planting something harder like geraniums, are they going to do anything?

Or is there a better plant or flower I can grow in a small pot?

Thanks
Jim C 07 Dec 2013
In reply to Kemics: I know someone who can help you,

Although, he may not be available at the moment, (give it six months. )

ebygomm 07 Dec 2013
In reply to Kemics:

Length of daylight likely to be a bigger issue than temperature
 Skip 07 Dec 2013
In reply to Kemics:

There are plenty of winter greens that will do fine.
 gd303uk 07 Dec 2013
In reply to Kemics:

It is the light levels ( photoperiod ) that trigger the plant to go into winter mode or flowering mode etc, your plant will grow fine in your house if it get enough light from the sun and a bit extra from indoor light source it can be tricked to think its anytime you want.
richyfenn 07 Dec 2013
In reply to Kemics:
It's usually the photoperiod that triggers plants different growing stages. My parents used to have Geraniums indoors all year without a problem, though I don't remember them growing from seed during winter. You can easily fool the plants by putting them somewhere where they get at least 12 hours of light, ideally up to 18 for best growth. If you can manage to have them near a window during the day and give some fairly bright artificial light in the evening they should grow quite happily.
Post edited at 20:07

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...