UKC

Ice climbing near Morzine

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SenorVivo 07 Dec 2013
Hi all,

Going skiing in Morzine with a few mates over xmas / NY. Anyone got any info / recommendations for ice routes nearby, e.g. Gachette, Dame du Lac, cascade des Brochaux?

Never climbed in that area so keen to speak to someone who has / or discover any useful websites / blogs with useful info.

Cheers,
A
johnj 07 Dec 2013
In reply to SenorVivo:

I have an old friend he's called Darren Woodley he's been over there since about 1998 or so, he has been a very active climber at times he's very helpful chew the ear of a donkey type of chats, good lad that he is

this is their website

http://www.thegreatescapemorzine.co.uk/
OP SenorVivo 08 Dec 2013
In reply to SenorVivo:

Cheers John - super helpful. Will contact him.

A
johnj 08 Dec 2013
In reply to SenorVivo:
No, probs mate, it's quite a close community over there so I'm sure they'll be something in nick or even maybe someone that would be interested in a day out to help find something suitable for you. If he asks if you could tell him it was Simmo who passed his details to you and to say hi from me to him and Sam. Hope you have a great holiday.
Post edited at 08:16
 dannymil 08 Dec 2013
In reply to SenorVivo:
There's a few of us active so far this year. North facing routes are forming well. But anything that has had even a glimse of sun have come down in the last week, and with warm weather forecast for the next week or so it could be a while before things start building up again. Hopefully things will cool down again for the xmas period.

If you need any topo's feel free to copy some info out of the guide book to save a bit of cash on buyin it.

Danny
Post edited at 08:50
 manumartin 16 Dec 2013
In reply to SenorVivo:

Hi
Climbed at Sales near Sixt on Sat and found good conditions generally.
Yesterday I climbed at Le Reposoir and routes were in very good nick.
 Lukeva 16 Dec 2013
In reply to SenorVivo:

It's not the most reliable place in the Alps, for any winter activities. Superb town though!
OP SenorVivo 19 Dec 2013
In reply to dannymil:

Thanks Danny - i bought the book in the end so i could get a better idea of what was around and reachable within reasonable driving distance. hope conditions are starting to improve again and you get some good climbing done! Andrew
OP SenorVivo 19 Dec 2013
In reply to manumartin:

thank you! this is super helpful
fred alpi+ski 23 Dec 2013
In reply to SenorVivo:

Check camptocamp.org for topos and conditions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...