UKC

Video about the banking system - opinions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Yanis Nayu 08 Dec 2013
youtube.com/watch?v=JHQOX8EVNmE&

I'd be interested to know what people who know more about this stuff than me think of this.

When we talk about our national debt, to whom do we owe the money?
 Postmanpat 08 Dec 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity:

> When we talk about our national debt, to whom do we owe the money?

Roughly 40% to pension funds and insurance companies, 35% to overseas investors (mainly financial institutions), 20% to banks (including the Bank of England) and the balance to individuals and others.

OP Yanis Nayu 08 Dec 2013
In reply to Postmanpat:

How does that square with what she was saying?
 Postmanpat 08 Dec 2013

> How does that square with what she was saying?

Well, she's given a brief and rather one sided description of how the monetary system works (fiat money and fractional reserve banking)but except that the gold standard was finally abandoned it wasn't started in the 1970s.Much of it has been true for a long time.

She has not explained why the system would any better or fairer if the government had a monopoly on creation of debt and money or how she thinks an economy might grow without debt creation.

Donnie 08 Dec 2013
the factual how the financial system are true, the conclusions that this is, in and of itself, enslaving the people, leading to less wealth etc is nonsense.

gritrash0 08 Dec 2013
In reply to Postmanpat:

I watched a documentary from a uk perspective which did offer explanations and think about alternatives to private institutions having a monopoly on money creation. Seemed to make sense to me. At least we should be having the conversation should we not?
youtube.com/watch?v=XcGh1Dex4Yo&
 Postmanpat 08 Dec 2013
In reply to gritrash0:

> I watched a documentary from a uk perspective which did offer explanations and think about alternatives to private institutions having a monopoly on money creation. Seemed to make sense to me. At least we should be having the conversation should we not?

>
Yup, one of the frustrations with democracy as it currently "works" is that politicians are too busy trying to get elected to discuss or promote genuine change. A genuine crisis might provoke debate but apparently 2008 was not sufficient......

ByEek 08 Dec 2013

"Have you ever wondered... "

SLAP!

Sorry - instant turn off. Nothing worse than 12 year old set up to sound like she knows what she is talking about when in reality, she is simply regurgitating a view point of her elders.
In reply to ByEek:

Precociousness is not an admirable trait in any child!

I think she's talking mostly bollox
 gritrash0 09 Dec 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

Closed-mindedness is unfortunately a common trait in adults. It's the reason why nothing changes and why instead of 'thinking' she's talking mostly bollox perhaps you should investigate, ask questions and find out whether you're right in you're assumption instead of offering completely useless criticism. You're viewpoint sir, as written above, is mostly bollox
In reply to gritrash0:

> Closed-mindedness is unfortunately a common trait in adults.

There's one thing I am most certainly not, and that thing is...closed minded.
 FreshSlate 10 Dec 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

Sounds like you are closed minded to the possibility of you being closed minded.
In reply to FreshSlate:

Damn, you're right. Pass me the gun...
 Owen W-G 10 Dec 2013
At the end isn't her simple solution for the central bank to print out a load of wonga and pay off the national debt.

Does she not consider the imapact there on the exchange rate and the massive loss in overseas purchasing power?
Jim C 10 Dec 2013
In reply to ByEek:

> "Have you ever wondered... "

> SLAP!

> Sorry - instant turn off. Nothing worse than 12 year old set up to sound like she knows what she is talking about when in reality, she is simply regurgitating a view point of her elders.

Yep reminded me of the child 'star' William Hague

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/john-niven-tory-loving-scrounger-hating-y...

I still want to give him a slap, more so now that he is an adult, he is even more objectionable .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...