UKC

GoPro questions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Toying with the idea of getting a GoPro Hero 3+ for climbing, cycling etc. A few questions to the aficianados please:

Mounts - how do they fit onto helmets? A base bit of some sort sticks onto helmet, then you attach camera to this? Is the base unit fully detachable from the helmet, or do you have to leave something permanently on your helmet? If so, how unobtrusive is it? Does this baemount damage climbing helmets - glue etc? Is it ever prone to falling off - cold adhesive in Cairngorm blizzard? If I use one on bike helmet and one on climbing helmet, what extra bit do I buy (presuming the camera set comes withenouh for one helmet)? Thanks.
 Wee Davie 08 Dec 2013
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

My Go Pro 2 mounts on my helmet by a sticky pad. It was a bit of a worry whether the mount would stay on. It has so far, and I hope it continues!

I had to buy a helmet mount kit as the bits included in the standard pack weren't suitable for positioning the camera in a usable position. Any of these spare bit kits are a bit of a rip off IMO. I like GoPro footage but prefer to vary it with some normal video as I find the GoPro field of view and jiggling about can get a bit much at times.

neilwiltshire 09 Dec 2013
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

As said above, you have to put a sticky pad onto the helmet that stays there permanently. It won't come off - I've had mine on there some time and its suffered some abuse during climbing and it hasn't come off. I completely trust it.

When the camera is off, the pad is fairly unobtrusive. I forget its there and no one has ever commented on it. It doesn't damage the helmet at all, and it should come with all the bits you need.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...