UKC

Ukraine

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SFM 08 Dec 2013
Just been watching Lenins statue being destroyed in Kiev.

Are we witnessing a rebirth of the Orange Revolution and closer ties with the EU or will it be snuffed out and drawn ever tigher to "Mother Russia"? I'm sure that sneaky bastard Putin will be pulling out the stops to ensure the latter!
 Yanis Nayu 08 Dec 2013
In reply to SFM:

I don't think it's as straightforward as that.
OP SFM 08 Dec 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
Never is!

OP SFM 08 Dec 2013

Are you referring to the rise of Svoboda?
 Yanis Nayu 08 Dec 2013
In reply to SFM:

More that it's already a somewhat divided country, with the south and east tending to look east, and the rest tending to look west.

My take on it is that long-term they would be better off with the EU (and my friends won't need visas to visit us!), but they owe Russia a load of money for gas, many Ukrainians consider themselves to be Russian (including, I believe, the President who is from Donetsk where everyone speaks Russian).

I know that some of my Ukrainian friends are very worried about the situation, including being concerned about Russian troops entering the country.
Gelstat5 09 Dec 2013
In reply to SFM:
Excuse me but what on earth are you on about?
The people of Ukraine know fine well that the lazy fascist scum who attacked the proud Ukrainian statue of Lenin are no more than flag waving bums,paid $20-$40 dollars for hanging around for a few hours.Exactly the same tactics were used in the Orange coup and the velvet coup et al!
The EU is pretty messed up but life in the Ukraine with the problems we have is very good right now and will only get better if we join the CU and NOT the EU.It is obvious the Eu only want to exploit our huge market for their own gain,it is their modus operandi,tried and tested.
Gelstat5 09 Dec 2013
In reply to SFM:
'Sneeky bastard Putin' for your peace loving altruistic CIA.

Gelstat5 09 Dec 2013
In reply to SFM:
At University i to was approached and offered payment to wave flags and stand around for hours protesting for EU biases.

Gelstat5 09 Dec 2013
In reply to SFM:
'it is their modus operandi,tried and tested.'
And we will not let the Eu bleed us dry,i am so angry about this foreign interference that plagues Ukraine.
Clauso 09 Dec 2013
In reply to SFM:

I passed a small Ukranian protest group, in Manchester, on Sunday afternoon. They were waving their flags about in front of the Queen Victoria statue in Piccadilly Gardens. I caused a few moments of consternation, when I innocently enquired why they were demonstrating in front of Hilda Ogden. I think that they saw the funny side. Eventually.

In a spirit of solidarity, I even stood with them for 30 minutes or so. Unfortunately, I didn't have any Ukranian flags with me and had to make do with waving a couple of packets of chicken Kiev, lashed to a bamboo cane, instead.

Long live the revolution!
Gelstat5 10 Dec 2013
In reply to Clauso:
'Long live the revolution!' What revolution do you talk about?We need some changes but there is no progress with moronic proesters only with Cu,do you see the reasons?

Bruce Hooker 10 Dec 2013
In reply to Gelstat5:

These "colour revolutions" smack so much of advertising agencies at work that it never ceases to amaze me how gullible people are who take them seriously. Their only problem is that there are just so many colours to use, and some are not suitable for those behind them - red or black for example, so they're having to reuse the same colours again leading to some slight confusion
Ste Brom 10 Dec 2013
In reply to SFM:

I'd be more concerned with a bunch of poo stirring EU representatives turning up cranking up the rhetoric when you have lives at stake.

We want your fuel.
 TobyA 10 Dec 2013
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

> These "colour revolutions" smack so much of advertising agencies at work that it never ceases to amaze me how gullible people are who take them seriously.

Comrade - you are hereby found guilty of reactionary and counter-revolutionary propaganda in the service of the imperialists. Your train eastwards awaits.
 Bruce Hooker 10 Dec 2013
In reply to TobyA:

You appear to not only be gullible but to have missed my point completely

Which was they are not "revolutions" at all, but emanate in the heads of the like of Saatchi and Saatchi and serve the purpose of the imperialist camp.
 Yanis Nayu 10 Dec 2013
In reply to Gelstat5:

Where in the Ukraine are you from?
 TobyA 10 Dec 2013

Oh come on Brucey, it's just an age thing isn't it? You've just gone off gobby youngsters and just want the status quo/quiet life. Nothing to be ashamed of.
 Bruce Hooker 10 Dec 2013
In reply to TobyA:

The blokes knocking Lenin over didn't look that young... Have you ever thought of getting glasses? BTW if you are short of a few bob according to Gelstat you could have got a job doing the same. Just imagine actually getting paid for commie bashing! What they call a win win situation.
OP SFM 10 Dec 2013
In reply to Gelstat5:
Ah progress. Of course.....

What your thoughts on Yulia Tymoshenko?

Yanis Nayu 10 Dec 2013
In reply to SFM:

> Ah progress. Of course.....

> What your thoughts on Yulia Tymoshenko?

Fit!
 NathanP 10 Dec 2013
In reply to Gelstat5:

"It is obvious the Eu only want to exploit our huge market for their own gain"

Which huge market is that?

EU $16,566 bn last year (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_the_European_Union)
Ukraine GDP $176 bn (according to Google, 2x that by PPP from Wikipedia) last year, about 1% of the EU economy and, just a wild guess here, maybe with a bit lower per-capita average disposable income?
Maybe it would be in the Ukraine's interests, even more than the EU's, to have closer links and freer trade with their richest neighbour and biggest trading partner.
 TobyA 10 Dec 2013

> Just imagine actually getting paid for commie bashing!

Yanukovich (and Putin) "commies"? Unlike the CCP, not even they claim that old chap.
 Yanis Nayu 10 Dec 2013
In reply to TobyA:

CCP? What's that?
 Bruce Hooker 10 Dec 2013
In reply to TobyA:

> Yanukovich (and Putin) "commies"? Unlike the CCP, not even they claim that old chap.

But you know they are really, once a red always a red, eh?
 TobyA 10 Dec 2013

> But you know they are really, once a red always a red, eh?

In those cases more a case of once a non-conviction communist now a grasping plutocrat wouldn't you say?
 TobyA 10 Dec 2013

Chinese Communist Party.
 Postmanpat 10 Dec 2013
In reply to SFM:

Down with the imperialist running dog lackey baddy people.....
 Postmanpat 10 Dec 2013

> These "colour revolutions" smack so much of advertising agencies at work that it never ceases to amaze me how gullible people are who take them seriously.

It's them reds wot started it. Imperialist lackeys!
 Yanis Nayu 11 Dec 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Cheers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...