UKC

Scarpa Phantom Guide

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
matejn 08 Dec 2013
I have an opportunity to get an almost new pair for a really good price. However, I wonder is worth it, since I'm very happy with my Nepal Evo.I guess I want to know how much warmer Phantoms are over a Nepal Evos.
 Cameron94 08 Dec 2013
In reply to matejn:
Have you tried doing a forum search.

The merits of the phantom guide has been discussed loads of times before.

If the price is good just buy them and keep them for when the nepals give in.
Post edited at 22:28
 BnB 09 Dec 2013
In reply to matejn:

I'd have thought the question was not how much warmer are they, but how much lighter? And the answer is:

MUCH lighter.
 ERU 09 Dec 2013
Where are they cheap? I've been looking for these as I got wide feet.
 StuDoig 09 Dec 2013
In reply to matejn:

I've just made the same switch - Nepal Exteme's to phantoms and the phantoms are much warmer, much lighter and (for me) a much better fit around the forefoot.

My feet are wide round the forefoot, and the Nepal's have always pinched a little, but the phantoms have been considerably better. I've also found them much more comfortable to walk in too.

They are much warmer - a little too warm on the last couple of weekends at times, but then it's not been all that cold. The lacing system takes a bit of getting used to for finer adjustment, but fine once you do.

Only bit I'm still experimenting with is how to wear them with salopettes if wading in deeper snow as the integral gaiter on the boots is a bit tight to go over my salopettes too.

Cheers,

Stu
matejn 09 Dec 2013
In reply to StuDoig:

Thank you. This is just the info I was looking for.
matejn 26 Dec 2013
In reply to matejn:

Another quick question. Is there anything that I should be attentive to when buying slightly used Phantoms. I was searching the web and except a case of a broken shoelace lock couldn't find anything else. What about that zipper on the overgaiter.
 peebles boy 26 Dec 2013
In reply to matejn:

Maybe just unlucky, but the very front of the sole on one of my boots "ripped" on a sharp bit of quartz!!

No problems so far with the zips (2 seasons in them), though can be a bit of a faff to use with big gloves on if you need to do any adjusting. But then again, so is tying your laces on normal boots!

Light, warm, comfortable, love them (got them at a very good price as well, over the moon as there's no way I could ever justify shop price, for these or any other boots!!).

If you don't buy them, and they're size 43, please let me know....!!!

Cheers,
Gordon
 StuDoig 26 Dec 2013
In reply to matejn:

The guy in the shop I bought from said that zipper problems were the main cause of returns, but that in most cases failure was due to folk using things like veg oil or vaseline etc on the zipper rather than the "T-Zip" stuff that scarpa recommend and supply with it and the sealing rubber degrading as a result.

An aside, but I use the T-Zip sealant for the zip on my bagpipes bag and it has so far stayed air tight for 8 years or so with very infrequent re-application. Not quite the same application, but one that leaks would be very obvious on!

Cheers,

STuart
 ColdWill 27 Dec 2013
In reply to matejn:
Check for damaged toe caps, they get damaged quite easily ice climbing.
 Paul249 27 Dec 2013
In reply to matejn:

I have broken the shoelace lock a couple of times, just contact scarpa and they will replace it.
 crayefish 27 Dec 2013
In reply to Paul249:
> I have broken the shoelace lock a couple of times, just contact scarpa and they will replace it.

Really? Surely the laces are dyneema as with the phantom ultras? Only thing that broke was my fingers when they cut through them in the shop when trying them on!

Surprised to hear that... should be much stronger than normal laces. Maybe you have arms like popeye

EDIT: sorry totally misread and missed the lock bit! Can always ditch the lock and just reef knot where you need tension half way up the boot.
Post edited at 09:34

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...