UKC

Montane Exstreme Jacket vs Smock - Ventilation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robin Woodward 08 Dec 2013
Hi,

I'm looking to get either the Montane Extreme Jacket or Smock, but was wondering which has the best ventilation options. Has anyone tried both (or similar items)? Do you find the front zip of the jacket, or the side zips of the smock more cooling?

Any opinions welcome (bearing in mind I'm not looking at any other items, just these two).
 Run_Ross_Run 08 Dec 2013
In reply to Robin UK:

Had both. Prefer ventilation on the smock. Its more versatile. Just a pita getting it on and off.

Either way they're the dogs b#ll#x.

andy_e 09 Dec 2013
In reply to Robin UK:

The large pocket on the front that works with a harness / hip strap is a plus for the smock. Also the side vents work well together with a small mesh vent in the chest pocket.

I find that it can be worn through most conditions so taking it on and off is never really that much of a problem.
All the Gear, No Idea 09 Dec 2013
In reply to Robin UK:

I use the smock, for winter, scrambling, multi pitch days and skiing, side vents work well enough, also as stated chest vent aswell,
once its on, it's on.
have used similar to the jacket,

jacket is more suited if you intend to be removing it, and putting it back on a couple of times
Smock is on all day, the only real down side of smock for me is wearing pants with braces at the same time. as you have to either take your smock off to go for a dump, or wear the smock tucked into your pants which i find uncomfortable. and makes you look like your mum dressed you
Thanks for the comments.

After being almost certain I was going to get one or the other, I now worry that it'd just be too hot for me (I run really hot) even for ice climbing and Scottish winter, and don't really want to use either as a belay due to the bulk. Back to the drawing board.
All the Gear, No Idea 09 Dec 2013
In reply to Robin UK:

its a great bit of kit the, smock, while walking in unzip all the zips, stop and do em up EASY.
I thought it was so good I bought a second one, for when I wore the first one out, still got both, still use , still love them
 jayjackson 09 Dec 2013
In reply to Robin UK:

Have both - generally prefer the smock. Ventilation good and so much more compatible with a harness/rucksack.

Do use the jacket for working at walls, high-ropes etc where lots of standing around belaying etc - as long as you don't need instant access to harness, you can zip up and still get to the belay loop through the bottom zip.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...