UKC

Where in the world...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Roberttaylor 09 Dec 2013
In six months time I should be in a position where I have 6 months a year holiday time and plenty of disposable income. I've suffered a bit to make this the case but it is time that it starts paying off.

Were you in the aforementioned situation, where would you base yourself? What would you do?

Thoughts so far are;

-Ouray, get good at ice and mixed
-Chamonix, alpine climbing
-Squamish, Boulder, Yosemite. Rock climbing

neilwiltshire 09 Dec 2013
In reply to Roberttaylor:

I wouldn't base myself anywhere in paritcular, I would go to several destinations. Why not do a couple of months in each of those three destinations?
 Damo 09 Dec 2013

Six months from now is end of May, so Ouray is totally out. So, starting in June:
- Yosemite and High Sierra will be in, but getting hot, but can go up to PacNW volcanoes on and off
- Chamonix would be good obviously, esp if the weather cooperates. Which it often does not…
- Canmore, AB. Lots of mountains, rock routes and road trip to Alaska.
- Bishop, Calif. High SIerra rock routes, bouldering on cool days.
- New Zealand. Winter alpinism, skiing, accessible mixed near Queenstown. Bonus: Learn a foreign language.
- Huaraz, Peru. Loads of 6000m peaks of all levels.
- Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan. Big peaks cheap, smaller alpine and rock routes nearer to town.

Damo 09 Dec 2013

Ah, on re-reading I guess you mean *every* year you will have 6 months free?* In that case, Canmore, Chamonix and Queenstown are still good. But it depends if the 6 months are all together or in bits. If in bits, travelling for work from Qtown would be a bitch!

Boulder is an expensive w%nk, though nice. Squamish - rain? Bozeman, MT or Estes Park CO might be ok. Merida in Venezuela, Mendoza in Argentina - there's plenty of less obvious places with great mountains and other activities.

*PS. Everyone here hates you!
 Trangia 09 Dec 2013

For rock climbing South Africa
johnj 09 Dec 2013
In reply to Damo:
I don't hate him far from, a fantastic opportunity, my suggestion would be something a bit more basic and speculative.

so 1. invest some of this hard earned money in bitcoin rather than expensive airfare
and 2. Scotland
or 3. buy a van and head to cham
Post edited at 07:46
 Tom Last 09 Dec 2013
In reply to Damo:

> - New Zealand. Learn a foreign language.

Lol, good one. Eh? Eh? Eh?
OP Roberttaylor 09 Dec 2013

To clarify, the six months should be in 1-2 month chunks. Cheers for thoughts.

R
In reply to neilwiltshire:

That's one plan.

In reply to johnj:

I don't understand bc well enough to invest in it. Investing however is in general a decent idea for me.
I've climbed in Scotland for the last five years and while it is a great place to be a mountaineer (from my admittedly limited experience) I fancy a change.
Van/Cham seems like an awesome combo.

Rourke 09 Dec 2013

Scotland is great and you can certainly fit a lot in but personally with that opportunity I would go to places that I wouldn't normally get the chance to visit

Personally would go to Western US - Utah, California, Arizona loads of great places for climbing and adventure
Somewhere off the beaten track maybe Tien Shan or Patagonia (never been to either but would love to go)
And Kamchatka for breathtaking views

Very envious
needvert 09 Dec 2013

NZ is a nice place, I believe you'll be covered by ACC automatically if you have an accident. If you're into white water kayaking too, I'd think it a good candidate. People aren't too bad either.
 Bruce Hooker 10 Dec 2013

How about Sorrato in Bolivia for some of the time? Cheap to live, friendly people - less chance of becoming a headline story than Asia - and the Cordillera Real base town. Plenty of scope for tourism, Macchu Pichou etc not far away. It depends a bit on when you are going to be free as the climbing season is their winter, ie. our summer.
 radson 10 Dec 2013

Sounds like a future member of the oil field trash community
OP Roberttaylor 11 Dec 2013
In reply to radson:

Close enough
 Null 19 Dec 2013

We recently asked Steph Davis where she would live other than where she does now (Yosemite and Boulder, as I recall). Without a moment's hesitation she said "Arco".
Where I live is very close to Arco and I think actually better!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...