UKC

Idea for compact firestarter.Feedback would be appreciated.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ecolgan 09 Dec 2013
I am involved in a buisness with a few colleagues of mine and i would like to hear your thoughts on a project we are working on,as it is in an early stage of development.Our idea is an essential piece of survival equipment.
It is a samll compact wooden box that will have a string/lever which,using flint,will cause a spark to ignite and produce a thermite reaction using a certain chemical.The box will alight and as it will also be filled with wood chippings and coal should stay alight for a considerable amount of time.There will be no waste material as the entire product should burn completely.We feel that this product will prove very useful especially if one is found in a situation where they can either not manage to make a fire or dont know how to.We are looking for your feedback towards our idea and any reason why you would/would'nt purchase it.Thank you for your time.
 csw 09 Dec 2013
In reply to Ecolgan:
Sounds like it would be only of use to a person with no idea how to build and light a fire. Anyone who has sufficient bushcraft skills to find tinder, kindling and fuel for a fire, is likely to have the means for lighting it on their person - anyone who can't get the ingredients for a fire together isn't going to benefit from what sounds like a very bulky alternative to e.g. a flint and steel, some cotton wool and a half a candle, which will light you 20 or more fires

P.S. the chemical for the "Thermite reaction" Wild guess here, but it's not the permanganate and sugar trick is it?
Post edited at 15:47
 Andy Say 09 Dec 2013
In reply to csw:

I would have thought that phosphorous was more likely
I have heard that you can get 20 or 30 firelighters in a small wooden box already........
 csw 09 Dec 2013
In reply to Andy Say:

Well, I doubt it's thermite, which would seem a bit OTT for a campfire
 StuDoig 09 Dec 2013
In reply to Ecolgan:

Personally I wouldn't be interest. If it's filled with woodchippings and coal, plus burns for "a considerable time" it's going to be too bulky to carry "just in case", and if you're planning on having a fire you can just use conventional firelighters if you're worried about not being able to get your fire going.

If you're thinking of it as a "just in case" emergency heating type device then something akin to a head pad that you can stuff inside clothing / a sleeping bag would be much more useful and efficient than a naked flame too.

I don't see what problem it's solving or who it's actually aimed at.

Cheers,

Stu

Wingnut 09 Dec 2013
In reply to Ecolgan:

What are you expecting people to do with it? And where are you expecting them to use it?

What sort of situations are you looking at where a box of woodchip and coal would be a better solution than the various other ways of staying warm, getting a brew on etc?

(In the last twenty years or so of walking, camping and generalised mucking about in the great outdoors, I've had an open fire a grand total of three times - once in an attempt to smoke the midges out, and twice because we were bored and there was stuff available to be set fire to. :
 csw 09 Dec 2013
In reply to StuDoig:

Have just read the OP more carefully At first I thought it was a firelighter, but it isn't is it? - It's an instant barbecue - I'm calling troll on this one
 tony 09 Dec 2013
In reply to Ecolgan:

It's not essential - how many people would it really help?

If it's going to be big enough to fill with wood chipping or coal which will burn for a considerable time, it's going to have to be quite big, so it's not something I'd be interested in carrying as a piece of emergency kit, unless I had a handy porter to carry it for me.
 Choss 09 Dec 2013
In reply to Ecolgan:
Sounds a faff to me.

If you need to Carry a waterproof firestarter, a piezo ignition electronic Lighter is reliable and easier? Never had one not light no Matter how wet. If you worry about Tinder a couple of small solid fuel tablets are readily Available.

plus they light Several Hundred
Times without a refill and only 99p for 5 including an LED Torch Built into lighter. Yours is a one shot Deal.
Post edited at 16:25
 StuDoig 09 Dec 2013
In reply to csw:

haha - aye, maybe repackaged as an EXTREME bbq (from the Bear Grills range maybe.....)

stu
 climber david 09 Dec 2013
In reply to Ecolgan:

What gap in the market are you trying to fill? Cant think of a situation where there isn't already something easily available that does the job well? Seems like its trying to solve a problem which doesnt exist
 Reach>Talent 09 Dec 2013
In reply to Ecolgan:

If it genuinely works on the Thermite reaction then I don't think it'll be practical. Firstly it'll leave a little lump of iron behind so won't "burn completely", secondly it'll need to be carefully packaged to avoid it slowly oxidising on storage and thirdly I suspect it'll be illegal to sell in the UK. I think that a pre-prepared incendiary device based on thermite would technically be a section 5 firearm and require a licence
Ecolgan 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Ecolgan:

An example of a situation in which this product will be required would be if you are high up in a mountain and find it very difficult to find the materials to create a fire,our target market is people who are inexperienced with regards mountain climbing or bushcraft.I thank you for your feedback and i will see to it that any faults you have mentioned that might occur,won't.
 Edradour 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Ecolgan:

> An example of a situation in which this product will be required would be if you are high up in a mountain ... our target market is people who are inexperienced with regards mountain climbing or bushcraft.

I think you've derailed your own argument....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...