UKC

The view from Snowdon...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 peebles boy 09 Dec 2013
I read something today that said you can see Scotland from the top of Snowdon on a clear day. Is this true or was my initial reaction correct...
Ste Brom 09 Dec 2013
In reply to peebles boy:

Bawls. IOM yes, Ireland, yes.

I also heard that they bring fuel oil to the café.

I would of imagined wind power would of been more appropriate.
 Skol 09 Dec 2013
In reply to peebles boy:
I've seen Snowdonia from the Scawfells, but I doubt that you could pick out a feature to define your view as Scotland, with the naked eye?
Post edited at 21:07
OP peebles boy 09 Dec 2013
In reply to Ste Brom:

Exactly what I thought!!!
 wilkie14c 09 Dec 2013
In reply to peebles boy:

I got the nevis range webcam up on my phone while on gribbin ridge once
 FesteringSore 09 Dec 2013
In reply to Ste Brom:

> would "of" imagined
What the hell does that mean?
 malky_c 09 Dec 2013
In reply to peebles boy:

Cairnsmore of Fleet, Lamachan Hill and Criffel theoretically, according to this:
http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/panoramas/WAL/SNOWDON-N.gif

I'm not sure if anybody actually has. It has come up on here a number of times and somebody might have claimed it I think.
In reply to wilkie14c:

Very good!! Which one would you have rather been on at the time tho...
With enough webcams, that could become the ultimate "I knew we should have done XYZ instead!"
 wilkie14c 09 Dec 2013
In reply to peebles boy:
more fun than geocaching anyway!
 jonnie3430 09 Dec 2013
In reply to malky_c:

Andes will be on soon to confirm it, I think?
In reply to malky_c:
Nice site,will keep that in mind in future. Although according to Wikipedia, using the formula they have for measuring how far you can see based on height above sea level you should only see a maximum of 112km...
Post edited at 21:19
Ste Brom 09 Dec 2013
In reply to FesteringSore:

Hell. There's a strong word...
 wynaptomos 09 Dec 2013
In reply to peebles boy:

Pretty sure i saw it once in the many times i've been up snowdon. IOM and the lakes were clearly recognisable so i reckoned the landmass in between could only be Scotland
 wilkie14c 09 Dec 2013
In reply to peebles boy:

If the scots gain their independence, will the welsh put screens up to prevent the ramblers being lured away by the sight of bigger hills?
 Banned User 77 09 Dec 2013
In reply to wynaptomos:

I could imagine you could see the Galloway Hills.. not sure about the main highlands.. but if you can see Scafell.. the Galloway hills arent too much further and will be sitting clear.
 FesteringSore 09 Dec 2013
In reply to Ste Brom:

But you haven't answered the question.
 Tom Valentine 09 Dec 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

It is allegedly possible to see Snowdon from Merrick but it doesn't work in reverse.

Viewfinderpanorama explains it better than I could.

KevinD 09 Dec 2013
In reply to peebles boy:

I saw Crib Goch once if that helps.
Well I say saw it was more a hint in the cloud.
 Choss 10 Dec 2013
In reply to peebles boy:

The one Time i went to Snowdon Summit i saw Hundreds of people on mobular Phones saying i did it. It was horribly crowded. Vowed never to return.

I think i also saw lliwedd for a Split Second through the cloud?

Banned User 77 10 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

> The one Time i went to Snowdon Summit i saw Hundreds of people on mobular Phones saying i did it. It was horribly crowded. Vowed never to return.

> I think i also saw lliwedd for a Split Second through the cloud?

That must have been great. I always loved that.. seeing people get their first taste of the mountains, opening up a new active lifestyle, becoming more environmentally aware.. it's great.

On the 100+ times I've been up I've seen most from noone, to people sleeping, to stag do's.. to be honest I can't think of many negative experiences.. I do enjoy the tut tutting from those in all the gear as you just jog up as sunsets, nothing but a pair of shorts, trainer and t-shirt in hand..
In reply to IainRUK:

Perhaps they'd stop tut-tutting if you put the shorts on?
 teflonpete 10 Dec 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

> I do enjoy the tut tutting from those in all the gear as you just jog up as sunsets, nothing but a pair of shorts, trainer and t-shirt in hand..

Trainer and T shirt in hand? What, you hop all the way up? Now that is hardcore...
 Sean Kelly 10 Dec 2013
In reply to peebles boy:

Yes, went up one day when it cleared to reveal Eire, IoM, Lakes and Galloway hills (coated in snow)! Very seldom is it that clear but in some winter light when wind is from the north it is very clean air.
 Cardi 10 Dec 2013
In reply to peebles boy:

Thread earlier in the year

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=540186
Jim C 11 Dec 2013
In reply to peebles boy:
Someone once sent me a programme that when you entered the top you were on it , would show a profile and list all the tops visible from there. Not sure if it accounted for the curvature of the earth and atmospheric conditions though.

Sounds far fetched to see Scotland from Snowdon though

Banned User 77 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> Yes, went up one day when it cleared to reveal Eire, IoM, Lakes and Galloway hills (coated in snow)! Very seldom is it that clear but in some winter light when wind is from the north it is very clean air.

I reckon I saw similar a few times.. never in the summer.. always early/late winter you could see Galloway.. it was too out on its own not to be.. the lakes, Ireland and IOM stood out.
 Choss 11 Dec 2013
In reply to peebles boy:

According to this chap, Summit of Snowdon gives Longest Line of sight view go Britain, including Merrick in Scotland.

http://climbing.about.com/od/mountainclimbing/a/Snowdon-Britains-Most-Famou...

Tom Valentine 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

As I said previously, the bloke who runs the Viewfinderpanorama site (sorry I don't know how to do links) agrees that the Merrick - Snowdon is Britain's longest line of site but says that it only applies from Merrick to Snowdon. Because of a "keyhole" effect, it is almost impossible to see Merrick from Snowdon.
 Choss 11 Dec 2013
In reply to peebles boy:

Ive always liked the view i had From the Summit of drygarn fawr one still, Freezing, snow covered day with amazing crystal Clear Light.

Wonderful panorama. Only souls i saw all day were my dog, and a beautiful fox playing in the snow. Very alone, But From the Summit it felt like you could see nearly all of Wales that day. Magnificent stuff.
 yorkshireman 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Jim C:

> Someone once sent me a programme that when you entered the top you were on it , would show a profile and list all the tops visible from there.

Peak.AR is the augmented reality app I have on my phone that does that. It's can be a bit flaky sometimes (at least with the mountains round my way) and I don't think it would be much good identifying peaks that are a very long way away simply because of the lack of resolution you would hsve.

A fun app to play with though.
Moley 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

> Ive always liked the view i had From the Summit of drygarn fawr one still, Freezing, snow covered day with amazing crystal Clear Light.

> Wonderful panorama. Only souls i saw all day were my dog, and a beautiful fox playing in the snow. Very alone, But From the Summit it felt like you could see nearly all of Wales that day. Magnificent stuff.

An underated top for views, a good panorama like you say. Probably made all the better by the complete lack of people and remoteness (for Wales) of the Cambrians all around. I'm a bit biased as it's a local hill!
 JohnnyW 11 Dec 2013
In reply to peebles boy:

Schiehallion. You can see Schiehallion from everywhere! ' (You ask Muriel Grey)
 UKH Forums 11 Dec 2013
This thread was started in the THE PUB forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

HILLTALK
A general forum for topics relating to hillwalking. Discuss walks you have been on, great scrambles, the best ridges, Munro-bagging and longer multi-day walks.

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
 Alun 11 Dec 2013
In reply to peebles boy:

The final paragrah on this link (alluded to be Tom V) seems to be pretty definitive:

http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/panoramas.html

The longest theoretical line of sight in the British Isles is 144 miles (232 km) from Merrick, in the southern uplands of Scotland, to Snowdon in North Wales. I have found no longer sightlines, and none were found in a study by topographic researcher Chris Jesty in the 1980's. A 1990's Guinness Book of Records published this superlative, but gave the distance as 144 km (sic). Unlike the longer US views above, the line of sight is low altitude and passes primarily over the sea, so Snowdon would only be observable from Merrick on an exceptionally clear day. No sightings have come to my attention.

Merrick would be practically impossible to observe from Snowdon, because of the very thin aperture it shows behind nearby Lamachan hill. To give an analogy: if a colleague and I were in neighbouring rooms, and I were at a desk but the colleague were looking through an empty keyhole, he would probably see my clearly, but I would not see him. The "keyhole" is Lamachan Hill, which is much closer to Merrick, so an observer on Merrick would see Snowdon much more easily than vice versa. Infact, Merrick would be impossible to observe from Snowdon other than with a telescope, and then only if there were a suitable contrast with Lamachan Hill (e.g. snow or sun on one but not the other). That is why Merrick is not shown on the Snowdon panorama.
 Mark Bull 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Jim C:

> Someone once sent me a programme that when you entered the top you were on it , would show a profile and list all the tops visible from there. Not sure if it accounted for the curvature of the earth and atmospheric conditions though.

This one (which is a great toy)? http://www.udeuschle.selfhost.pro/panoramas/makepanoramas_en.htm

As far as I know, there are no documented sightings of Snowdon from Merrick, so if you are ever up there on a clear day, take a photo looking south!

Banned User 77 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Alun:

so you can still see galloway..
 Morty 22 Dec 2013
In reply to FesteringSore:

> But you haven't answered the question.

Are you the grammar nazis' answer to jeremy paxman? I'll bet that my lack of capital letters just has you pissing in your pants...

Fat Bumbly2 22 Dec 2013
Clear day, refraction and a laser perhaps.
Snow makes a difference as on one occasion I could see light shining off a snowfield beyond Fife from my window (I live beside the Firth of Forth at sea level). Turned out to be Carn an Righ. Never seen it since.
Keep meaning to do the hill again and look at the view southwards, shore detail of course will be lost against the Lammermuir Hills.

Al Evans 22 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

> I've seen Snowdonia from the Scawfells, but I doubt that you could pick out a feature to define your view as Scotland, with the naked eye?

I've seen Snowdonia from Dow Crag (or was it Coniston Old Man?), but only once despite hundreds of ascents. Though you can more regularly see Blackpool Tower
 mockerkin 25 Dec 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

If you can see Snaefell, I.O.M from Snowdon then you should be able to see Criffel, (SP) as mentioned above, which is just over the Solway Firth and in Scotland.
 Tom Valentine 25 Dec 2013
In reply to mockerkin:

Viewfinderpanorama shows Criffel as visible but not Merrick.
king_of_gibraltar 25 Dec 2013
In reply to peebles boy:
I just googled it and on wiki it says: "The view between Snowdon and Merrick (southern Scotland) is the longest theoretical line of sight in the British Isles at 144 miles (232 km).[30]"

Dunno what it means really, but thought i'd contribute to this thread with a few seconds of research.
Post edited at 17:39
 Shani 25 Dec 2013
In reply to Morty:

> Are you the grammar nazis' answer to jeremy paxman? I'll bet that my lack oabsence of capital letters just has you pissing in your pants...

What you've done with that apostrophe will probably grate with some on UKC; much more so than the absence of capital letters!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...