UKC

The Monch Sanction!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BALD EAGLE 10 Dec 2013
Morning All

Late in the summer my buddies and I were lucky enough to visit the Bernese Oberland for the first time and before attempting the infamous Eiger, we were looking for a straightforward but enjoyable outing for some acclimatisation and all. So the Monch at 4107m, easily accessible from the Jungfraujoch station, seemed an obvious choice and after a wallet-crunching ride on the cog train with half the population of Japan the fun began! Anyway the entertainment was duly recorded so for anyone interested in viewing a short HD film of this tour including some great views of the Eiger, Schreckhorn, Finsteraarhorn, Jungfrau, plus the spectacular, exposed Monch summit ridge then please use the following link:
youtube.com/watch?v=y8An2yj8jOc&
So has anyone else have any tales of derring-do or an epic to share of their time in the Bernese Alps? Did you decide to save lots of Swiss Francs and walk/climb to the Jungraujoch? In fact what is the easiest way to the Jungfraujoch without taking the train? My bank account is still recovering from 2 return journeys...
If you wish to sample the full High Def experience and your computer has enough va va voom, you should be able to change the "Quality" icon to at least 720p HD in the bottom right hand corner on the You Tube screen. All constructive feedback or comments welcome and hopefully it will inspire a few folks to climb the Monk and visit this amazing area!

Cheers

Dave
 Bergvagabunden 10 Dec 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:
An excellent short film Dave , thanks for posting it - went up the Laaginhorn in July , not quite as high , but that brought back some memorys !
 victorclimber 10 Dec 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

first ever alpine season to Grindlewald with the Vibram from Huddersfield 8 pound return on the worst bus in the world,this was 1967 I think ..up to the Gleckstein hut to do the Wetterhorn ,early start was bad enough ,got onto the route and large black clouda rolled in ,we asked ourselves why the Guides were turning back so on we pressed got to the top in Thunder and Lightning ,so that's why they turned back,managed to get back down safely but on the way we passed 2 of the new wave of Japanese Climbers going up ,dafter than us obviously.
OP BALD EAGLE 10 Dec 2013
In reply to Bergvagabunden:
> (In reply to BALD EAGLE)
> An excellent short film Dave , thanks for posting it - went up the Laaginhorn in July , not quite as high , but that brought back some memorys !

Muchly appreciated and glad you enjoyed it
 Gav Parker 10 Dec 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Excellent Dave brings back memories of the Jungfrau

Gav
 JohnnyW 10 Dec 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Cracking quality as usual, stupendous views. The Monch is on my list, as is the Jungfrau of course. Technically no problems eh, but by heck that summit ridge is exposed. I always have a wee butterfly attack when I come across those snow aretes.....

Can't wait for next summer again now.
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Love it ! Thanks for posting.
 Bootsy 11 Dec 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

We were hot on your heels as it turns out - we climbed it by the same route the following day!

Thank you for the reminder of this enjoyable little route.
 jonnie3430 11 Dec 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:
> So has anyone else have any tales of derring-do or an epic to share of their time in the Bernese Alps? Did you decide to save lots of Swiss Francs and walk/climb to the Jungraujoch? In fact what is the easiest way to the Jungfraujoch without taking the train?

Good video of a stunning area, much to return for there, Schreckhorn and Eiger high on the list! This is our time from last summer, we walked in from Fiesch to the South: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=5375
Post edited at 11:18
OP BALD EAGLE 11 Dec 2013
In reply to JohnnyW, Gav Parker, I Like Climbing and all :
>
> Cracking quality as usual, stupendous views. The Monch is on my list, as is the Jungfrau of course. Technically no problems eh, but by heck that summit ridge is exposed. I always have a wee butterfly attack when I come across those snow aretes.....

Cheers Guys and many thanks for all your positive feedback!
Johnny - good luck next Summer in the Oberland and I hope you get up the Monch and Jungfrau. Any plans for other routes or objectives whilst you are there?
OP BALD EAGLE 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Bootsy:
>
> We were hot on your heels as it turns out - we climbed it by the same route the following day!

Nice one! There was a great window of weather for a few days early to mid-August so happy days!
 Bobling 11 Dec 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Liked the music on this one, found myself zoning out to the views. Summit ridge did look good!
OP BALD EAGLE 12 Dec 2013
In reply to Bobling:
>
> Liked the music on this one, found myself zoning out to the views. Summit ridge did look good!

Cheers dude I think music is pretty important for creating an ambience or atmosphere, but as we all know music is very personal depending upon taste. And yep the summit ridge was splendidly exposed with some impressive cornices for decoration...
OP BALD EAGLE 13 Dec 2013
In reply to victorclimber:

> first ever alpine season to Grindlewald with the Vibram from Huddersfield 8 pound return on the worst bus in the world,this was 1967 I think ..

Blimey 8 pound return even if it was "the worst bus in the world"? Those were the days!

> up to the Gleckstein hut to do the Wetterhorn ,early start was bad enough ,got onto the route and large black clouda rolled in ,we asked ourselves why the Guides were turning back so on we pressed got to the top in Thunder and Lightning ,so that's why they turned back,managed to get back down safely but on the way we passed 2 of the new wave of Japanese Climbers going up ,dafter than us obviously.

The things you do when you are young, motivated and daft!
By the way does anyone know why Grindelwald is so popular with the Japanese?!
 victorclimber 13 Dec 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

I think the japs were drawn to Grindlewald because of the Eiger ,not saying they all wanted to climb it by the North Face but they did come ..
OP BALD EAGLE 14 Dec 2013
In reply to victorclimber:
>
> I think the japs were drawn to Grindlewald because of the Eiger ,not saying they all wanted to climb it by the North Face but they did come ..

Interesting but I'm still not sure why Grindelwald is so popular with Japanese tourists compared to Zermatt or Chamonix for example. For a much smaller town compared to Zermatt or Cham, Grindelwald had its very own Japanese Tourist Info centre, there were huge numbers of guided groups of tourists led by a "group leader" bearing a flag and out of 6 carriages on the Jungfraujoch train, 5 of them were full of Japanese! Just curious as to why a nation is so drawn to Grindelwald and the Eiger and not the the 2 aforementioned places. As far as I'm aware no Japanese Mountaineer was involved in the very first ascent via the West flank and certainly not the North Face. Answers on a postcard please!
 kiwi boy 14 Dec 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Gear vid Dave. what a summit ridge though. The camera work realy did captue that nicely. Maybe the next video will have you flinging your self off the top in a wing suit.
OP BALD EAGLE 15 Dec 2013
In reply to kiwi boy:
>
> Gear vid Dave. what a summit ridge though. The camera work realy did captue that nicely. Maybe the next video will have you flinging your self off the top in a wing suit.

Hey Mr Kiwi many thanks for the feedback but to quote Don King the chances of me flinging myself off the top in a wingsuit are slim and none! And slims just left town....
 Choss 15 Dec 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Once again, a wonderfully atmospheric well shot video.

Sadly, no Wildlife this Time, but gladly no deerstalker either :-D
 Bootsy 16 Dec 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

We chatted with a Japanese client in the Mönchsjoch Hütte about this very thing and he didn't really have an answer other than the Japanese love Heidi (apparently they made an Anime of it) and so want to come and see the Swiss mountains for real!

I did notice at the Jungfraujoch that it is twinned with a UNESCO World Heritage Site in China which may be part of the reason for some of the growing number of Chinese visitors I guess.
 Babika 16 Dec 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Well done - great film. I love this area.

Your mate's choice of headgear made me wince though - not sure a baseball hat would give much protection in a fall.... I know that helmets are personal choice but I've always felt that its a mugs game in the Alps to be without one simply because of the loose rock and teams of other people.
OP BALD EAGLE 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:
>
> Once again, a wonderfully atmospheric well shot video.
>
> Sadly, no Wildlife this Time, but gladly no deerstalker either :-D

Many thanks Choss we saw plenty of wildlife on the trip including Marmots, Ibex and Salamanders but sadly not on this tour, unless you include all the tourists on the Jungfraujoch train! Oh and yeah deerstalkers were strictly banned...

OP BALD EAGLE 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Babika:
>
> Well done - great film. I love this area.

Hey Babika many thanks! It was my first visit to the Bernese Oberland and wowser what a magical place + cannot wait to go back for more!

> Your mate's choice of headgear made me wince though - not sure a baseball hat would give much protection in a fall.... I know that helmets are personal choice but I've always felt that its a mugs game in the Alps to be without one simply because of the loose rock and teams of other people.

Yeah I think my mate forgot his helmet for this route, but he definitely had it on his noggin' when we went up the Eiger a few days later!
 tallsteve 17 Dec 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Fabulous vid. Was up that same route a couple of weeks later with my son (17). His first "proper" Alpine peak. We made the mistake of nipping for a pee at the Hut, which weirdly added nearly an hour to the route. By the time we hit the summit ridge the snow was more sugar than snow so within 50m (heightwise) of the top I decided to miss out the ridge. Son was not too pleased until we turned to descend the metal posts and he realised just how quickly conditions had changed and we were dealing with moving sugar over rock hard ice, front pointing with both axes out. An important learning experience. Its better to turn around than push too far.

Next time I fancy the ridge rising directly from the Jungfrau station. An AD, but it looked to have more rock, and for a pair of climbers we'd have probably shinnied up it far quicker without the long slow walk across the glacier.

At the base of the ridge we headed diagonally right back to the path. "We don't need ropes Dad!" declared my son, but I made him stay roped up, knowing we would be crossing a small cravasse. He went ahead and duly lost one leg down a deep hole. I was ready for this as the dip in the snow was a giveaway. After he had hauled himself out he looked down the hole and realised it disappeared into the blue. Maybe us dads know more than teenage boys would like to admit!
 Poco Loco 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Babika:

I didn't wear a helmet last time I walked over Grib Goch either. I wont get in to a helmet debate though
OP BALD EAGLE 18 Dec 2013
In reply to tallsteve:
>
> Fabulous vid. Was up that same route a couple of weeks later with my son (17). His first "proper" Alpine peak. We made the mistake of nipping for a pee at the Hut, which weirdly added nearly an hour to the route. By the time we hit the summit ridge the snow was more sugar than snow so within 50m (heightwise) of the top I decided to miss out the ridge. Son was not too pleased until we turned to descend the metal posts and he realised just how quickly conditions had changed and we were dealing with moving sugar over rock hard ice, front pointing with both axes out. An important learning experience. Its better to turn around than push too far.

Hey tallsteve many thanks for the kind words! Shame you did not make the summit but it will always be there and sounds like you made the right call to turn round...
 Babika 19 Dec 2013
In reply to Poco Loco:

Yeah Crib Goch is obviously an identical route.

Poco Loco 19 Dec 2013
In reply to Babika:

Don't worry, I'm pulling your leg.
OP BALD EAGLE 20 Dec 2013
In reply to Poco Loco and Babika:
> (In reply to Babika)
>
> Don't worry, I'm pulling your leg.

C'mon guys is that it? I was hoping for a "helmet war"!
In all seriousness the Monch SE Ridge/voie normale is a very straightforward snowy route with little rock + objective danger and a lot of folks on the route were also not wearing helmets so I guess personal choice and all...
Cheers and Merry Xmas!
Dave

WildWeasel 21 Dec 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

An excellent and very enjoyable short film to cheer up a rainy grey day so many thanks for posting it!

OP BALD EAGLE 22 Dec 2013
In reply to WildWeasel:
>
> An excellent and very enjoyable short film to cheer up a rainy grey day so many thanks for posting it!

Many thanks and glad you enjoyed it!

BusyLizzie 24 Dec 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Wow - that is lovely!
OP BALD EAGLE 26 Dec 2013
In reply to BusyLizzie:
>
> Wow - that is lovely!

Hey BusyLizzie many thanks and glad you enjoyed the vid!

wilkie14c 29 Dec 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Brilliant work Dave, just brilliant! Finally managed to get around to watching this, what a climbing year you have had eh?! Great panaramics of the area and lovely soundtrack again, keep up this level of effort!
OP BALD EAGLE 05 Jan 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:
>
> Brilliant work Dave, just brilliant! Finally managed to get around to watching this, what a climbing year you have had eh?! Great panaramics of the area and lovely soundtrack again, keep up this level of effort!

Hey wilkie many thanks for the positive feedback and yep 2013 was a pretty good climbing year with a number of ambitions achieved so happy daze! Fingers crossed for a great 2014 and lots of Bald Eagle Productions planned including more classic winter/ice routes, sea stacks, UK mountain routes, esoterica and Alps so watch this space... Cheers and happy New Year Dave

Morts 07 Jan 2014
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

great vid mate.. really enjoyed the one from Eiger too btw

Morts
OP BALD EAGLE 08 Jan 2014
In reply to Morts:
>
> great vid mate.. really enjoyed the one from Eiger too btw
>
> Morts

Hey Morts I really appreciate your appreciation and lots more filming plans in the pipeline for 2014 so watch this space!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...