UKC

P Tex repairs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JohnV 10 Dec 2013
I have a sizable gouge right through the base of one ski. I've p-tex'd the length of the gouge and removed the excess as normal, but I'm finding that my skin glue is plucking out the repair. Is there a way I can make the repair fix better- I heard a rumour about mixing the p-tex with superglue- any ideas about this?
 pdone 10 Dec 2013
In reply to JohnV:

If it is quite big then you are probably best having it patched professionally.

For small gouges 'down to the base' you can get 'metal grip' which is supposed to bond equally well to p-tex and the metal base. For small gouges down to the base I have found Araldite Rapid quite good!

For good technical advice you might like to consult www.thepisteoffice.com
birdman 10 Dec 2013
In reply to JohnV:

I've heard that warming the base of the ski prior to dripping in the molten P Tex creates a better bond.

Just fixed some deep gouges in my bases with PTex so it'll be interesting to see how it lasts.
graham F 10 Dec 2013
In reply to JohnV:

Cutting out a patch and glueing a new piece works well but is fairly big and fiddly job. I've found a thin layer of Araldite first then PTex works ok.
 gethin_allen 10 Dec 2013
In reply to birdman:

> I've heard that warming the base of the ski prior to dripping in the molten P Tex creates a better bond.

I heard the same and we used this approach to fix a fairly major problem on my dads old skis, we used a paint stripper gun to heat the area around the damage. So far the repair has held for a good few weeks of alpine skiing so it's looking good.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...