/ In-helmet headphones

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Gav M - on 10 Dec 2013

Looking for headphones to fit in a Giro helmet.

Want them to have an inline play / pause / volume / skip forward back function similar to that found in apple earbuds.

Have seen a few models online with inline play / pause and volume control but none that specifically promise a skip forward and back function.

Does anyone have this Holy Grail of helmet headphones?
David Rose - on 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Gav M:

why would you ruin your experience of the mountains with headphones?
rogersavery - on 11 Dec 2013
In reply to davidoldfart:

>why would you ruin your experience of the mountains with headphones?

I completely agree - I tried skiing with headphones and hated it, which was not what I expected at all. Road cycling, I am never without headphones and some decent music playing, but never skiing
HeMa on 11 Dec 2013

Because you're tired of answering that gaper the umpteenth thousand time why am I riding such long and wide skis or what ever...

Listening to music is an easy exit strategy...

But then again, simply pretending to be listening music also works...
Edradour - on 11 Dec 2013

> why would you ruin your experience of the mountains with headphones?

Or maybe just let him enjoy the mountains however he wants?

To the OP - I have some cheapish (25 I think) Sennheiser ones that have what you want. Haven't got them on me so can't tell you the model number but they've got a microphone on as well for hands free phone use (although it doesn't work very well). They were from Dixons (or whatever it's called now) at Heathrow. I would suspect that most headphones that have play/pause on the cord will be able to skip tracks. On mine it's one press for play/pause, two for skip forward and three for skip back.
Gav M - on 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Edradour:

A constructive reply at last, thank you.
captain paranoia - on 12 Dec 2013
In reply to Gav M:

I wouldn't recommend headphones for piste skiing or road cycling; too much loss of situational awareness for my liking...

YMMV
Orgsm on 12 Dec 2013
In reply to captain paranoia:
> I wouldn't recommend headphones for piste skiing or road cycling; too much loss of situational awareness for my liking...

> YMMV

No more than someone with a radio on in their car
Post edited at 19:13
captain paranoia - on 13 Dec 2013
In reply to Beat me to it!:

The difference being that in a car, you're already quite isolated from sounds around you (windows, engine & road noise), whereas, on a bike, you're not, and sound forms a large part of my situational awareness when riding a bike, and when skiing.

It's certainly a contentious subject, which is why I said 'YMMV'...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cycling+headphones+site:www.cyclechat.net
Edradour - on 13 Dec 2013
In reply to captain paranoia:

> I wouldn't recommend headphones for piste skiing or road cycling; too much loss of situational awareness for my liking...

> YMMV

But the OP isn't asking for advice on whether he should or should not wear headphones when skiing / cycling. He asking for advice on which headphones to get. He has already decided that he likes to listen to music when he cycles or skis,.
ads.ukclimbing.com
captain paranoia - on 13 Dec 2013
In reply to Edradour:

People often ask for advice about the best way to do something, only to get replies that suggest doing that thing might not be a good idea at all. I don't see this case being any different.

I'm not trying to make a big issue out of it, but I simply gave the answer that I'd give to Gav if he asked me the same question in the pub, with absolutely no malice intended.

I'd give a similar answer if someone asked "what's the best barbecue to use inside a snowed-in mountain tent?"; "I don't think it's a good idea".

Apologies to Gav if I've caused offence.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.