UKC

best guide book for Andalucia?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Will Legon 11 Dec 2013
Is it the local one ' Andalucia : guia de escalada deportiva ' by David Munilla or something with a British flavour (Rockfax)? Thoughts and opinions and links all gratefully received!

Will
andyathome 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Will Legon:

As far as I know the Munilla guide is it - pretty much. Rockfax haven't gone there. Plenty of pdf downloads for many of the smaller crags. There is another Munilla guide which focusses on the crags to the West.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 11 Dec 2013
In reply to andyathome:

> As far as I know the Munilla guide is it - pretty much. Rockfax haven't gone there.

http://www.rockfax.com/climbing-guides/all/el-chorro-2008/

Chris
andyathome 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Chris Craggs:

I sort of thought Will was after a broader scope than the El Chorro area; could have been wrong

The Munilla guide certainly has a far wider spread albeit at the expense of detail.
 Mark Bull 11 Dec 2013
In reply to andyathome:

> albeit at the expense of detail.

You're not kidding! One of poorest guidebooks I own.
I see there is a new edition just out - http://www.cordee.co.uk/CCE303.php
Hope it's an improvement.....

andyathome 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Mark Bull:

Hey: what does it take to locate a line of bolts...
 Mark Bull 11 Dec 2013
In reply to andyathome:
> Hey: what does it take to locate a line of bolts...

How about a decent set of directions/maps to find the crag in the first place, and then to find the various sectors, and then enough detail on the topos so that you can't get confused by new routes added since they were drawn, or have to identify routes by counting the lines. Oh, and any detail at all about crags with easier routes. Not much to ask for really
Post edited at 20:54
andyathome 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Mark Bull:

> enough detail on the topos so that you can't get confused by new routes added since they were drawn,

I never had problems actually finding the crags - but would agree with you that the topos are a wee bit dated in terms of the actual lines there.
 mrchewy 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Mark Bull:

Used the new one at the weekend and sounds much the same. Pretty appalling drawings if I'm honest and even asking local climbers didn't help - they were as confused by the guide as we were.
There is however plenty to go at in a wide ranging area.
Wiley Coyote2 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Will Legon:

Rockfax is quite limited in terms of the area it covers but we still got a good week's climbing out of it without ever touching El Chorro (which I avoid because I just find it the text book example of how to take a beautiful area and trash it). No probs finding any of the crags or routes as I recall.
OP Will Legon 12 Dec 2013
In reply to Will Legon:

Thanks all - top dollar as usual. I was actually looking to get something for my brother-in-law who now lives in the region. I have a recollection of using the local book and considering it to be worse than useless - it's good to see that it wasn't just me being a plank. (Spending all day looking for the crag, making it up when we got there, and then having an epic etc). The Rockfax book is a bit limited but still far better than the local book.

I'll buy him the Eastern Grit instead!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...