UKC

One Wild Winter…….Nice work.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rich W Parker 11 Dec 2013
As a fairly hefty cynic regarding the main media I was chuffed that the BBC produced an informative and balanced piece.
 Wee Davie 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Murko Fuzz:

My thoughts exactly.
 JohnnyW 12 Dec 2013
In reply to Murko Fuzz:

Hmmm. I did find it a little dour and doom and gloomy somewhat.

I actually met one of the groups who were featured earlier on the day they got into trouble, and it has always troubled me whether I should have suggested they turned back. (I had assisted in a winter skills session with the leader the year before, hence why we 'knew' each other in passing). But then, taking responsibility and knowing the risks is what was suggested in the film, yes?

My wife, who is a neutral as it were, thought it focussed a little too much on the pitfalls, and not enough of the highs.

Either way, always stirring to see the mountains in winter garb, roll on the good conditions!
OP Rich W Parker 12 Dec 2013
In reply to JohnnyW:

Indeed! It's almost back to square one with the winter nick.
They did periodically show some happy people having fun, so it wasn't altogether a fear fest.
 Ron Walker 12 Dec 2013
In reply to Murko Fuzz:
Thought it was a great program with great footage but it seemed to lose it's way half way through somewhat!
A lot interesting stuff for an avalanche program yet it didn't actually mention the really big ones that took even some experienced folk by surprise.
Also not enough on the other basic winter and mountain skills, planning, route choice, navigation, leadership and descision processes that led up to some of the other incidents?
At the end of the program I was left thinking maybe there's a second part to come or maybe there is?

JohnnyW 12 Dec 2013
In reply to Ron Walker:

I agree Ron - We both looked at each other and said '....and the moral is?'
 Simon Caldwell 13 Dec 2013
In reply to JohnnyW:

Worst thing about the program is that it was only shown in Scotland. Do they think English people don't go into the mountains in winter?
 Doug 13 Dec 2013
In reply to Toreador:
but at least you can watch it on iPlayer (access to this programme is blocked for those of us outside the UK)
Bellie 13 Dec 2013
In reply to Murko Fuzz:

I have just watched this over breakfast. I recall watching a similar programme this year, which focussed more on the MRT in the Cairngorms rescue. An interesting and sobering programme.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...