UKC

Decathlon running tights as winter base layer?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GraMc 11 Dec 2013
Hi all,
I'm looking for a cheap replacment for my knackered old thermal tights. Has anyone tried these?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/essential-warm-running-tights-id_8280370.html

I'm not that near to a deacathlon just wondering if anyone knows how insulating they acctually are? or whether they are just a bit like ronhills?

cheers.
 Kassius 12 Dec 2013
In reply to Ginger McGrath:

I went trekking round the Himalayas and wore a pair of nike running leggings and they were fine. Skins also do some good ones
 ColdWill 12 Dec 2013

Too much elastane feels cole against the skin.
Flat4matt 12 Dec 2013

Im a believer that anything 'tight up' against skin wont allow for the bodies natural heat retention function to work properly ie hairs sticking up on arms legs etc etc trying to retain heat when its cold.

The idea of compression I can understand being a possibility for muscles to maybe reduce vibration and maybe reduce fatigue etc but certainly not for warmth properties or rather it doesnt work on me anyway.

I use them as a warm baselayer, they're warmer than my standard weight synthetic baselayers for sure. Very comfy, only complaint is they could do with flies to make toilet stops through multiple layers and a harness a little easier! =o)
 nniff 12 Dec 2013

I've been using them for years. They're like powerstretch but with a significantly stronger elastic element. They get used for winter climbing under softshell trousers. I also have a pair that I wear on the bike and another pair that have been cut off below the knee for the OMM. They last for years and years. They dry fast when wet, and they're warm on a bike in tipping rain.

As mentioned, there's no fly, but that's hardly the end of the world.
 r0b 12 Dec 2013
In reply to Flat4matt:

Surely a pair of tights next to your skin is going to trap more air than your leg hairs - unless you're very hairy!
 peebles boy 12 Dec 2013
Same thing? Half the price? No need to go to a Decathlon? Well OK then!!

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/campri-thermal-pant-mens-402024?colcode=4020242...
Post edited at 11:09
 Tricky Dicky 12 Dec 2013
In reply to r0b:

> unless you're very hairy!

I think it does depend on your hairyness, I even find that cycling arm warmers make my hairy arms colder as they're quite tight.

Flat4matt 13 Dec 2013

I wouldnt consider myself particulary hairy, just a theory I have and seems to work for me. May not work for others but if it does then great, if not try something else til you find what works best
 martinph78 13 Dec 2013
In reply to peebles boy:

Also Sports Direct - the Karrimor running stuff is pretty decent.
 Hay 14 Dec 2013
Yes, they're fine.
Used for the one day out so far this year under light softshell trousers. No probs.
Have also used as baselayer under chest waders. The Tay is a cold place in October and they seemed to work fine there too.
Bruce

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...