UKC

Is the Iron Lodge open

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Burns 12 Dec 2013
Anyone now if the Iron Lodge is open as a bothy, I know it used to locked years ago but I get the impression it's open now.
 Jamie B 12 Dec 2013
In reply to John Burns:

I wouldn't really describe it as a bothy, more a derelict estate house that gets dossed in occasionally.

Over the years I've seen it locked and unlocked, so I wouldn't want to depend on it being open, nor do I know what the attitude of the estate is to is use. It's pretty manky inside, not really inspiring as a "bothy"
 streapadair 12 Dec 2013
In reply to John Burns:

Jamie sums it up. It was open in May 2009 (used it on the GOC), firmly dubbed up in May 2012.
 Siward 12 Dec 2013
In reply to Jamie B:

Last time I was up there (couple of years) there was a pony tethered outside. No idea if it was open though...
 ScraggyGoat 12 Dec 2013
In reply to John Burns:

In the half a dozen or so times I've been passed in the past 10 years, its always been locked. So as Jamie says not place to depend on.
 Jamie B 12 Dec 2013
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

> So as Jamie says not place to depend on.

...and should one presume right of access to an unlocked building?

ScraggyGoat 12 Dec 2013
In reply to Jamie B:

As we both know there is no right of access to any buildings.

MBA bothies are maintained and used with permission of the landowner, that permission can be recinded at any time. i.e non of us have a 'right of access' to MBA bothies, we do so with permission.

While entering a building in the hope it is an open bothy (particularly outwith of MBA ones), is both ethically and legally a grey area.

OP John Burns 12 Dec 2013
In reply to John Burns:
I thought it was a club hut at one time but perhaps I'm mistaken.

I think if it was open I'd use it. The worse someone can do is throw you out. I once tried to camp in the waiting room of Windermere station only for me and my mate to be hurled out into the snow by an irate station master. In mute protest we slept on the station steps and woke under four inches of fresh snow with early morning commuters stepping gingerly over us. That, of course, was in more innocent times these days you'd find yourself on Police Camera Action. I can see the headline in the Daily Mail. SLEEPING CLIMBERS LAY SIEGE TO INNOCENT STATION.
Post edited at 14:28
skyejonah 12 Dec 2013
In reply to John Burns:

closed few weeks ago,was on rescue business there,locked up,people piching outside

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...