HILLTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Escaped reindeer in Lakes.

j0ntyg on 12 Dec 2013
The Whinlatter Forest park borrowed two reindeer from Scotland for a childrens' Xmas show. One was spooked by a dog and escaped from the pen into the forest about a week ago. They aren't too worried about it as it can easily survive there, but they need to find it to return it to it's Scottish owners. So that's no big deal but I was wondering, if they don't find it, could it join up with Red deer or Roe deer. Most deer prefer to live in herds. Would it be accepted by other deer? Could it even find other deer? The nearest are Reds around Thirlmere. Most other Cumbrian deer are around the east and south of the area. Whinlatter is surrounded by roads, could it make it safely to where the other deer are, i.e Grizdale forest and between Ullswater and Haweswater for Reds, Eden valley for Roe. As hill folk, can anyone work out a fell top route for it to join other deer?
Mountain instructors, you could use this as a test for your students. Avoid as many roads as possible, obviously.
... not showing 21 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums