UKC

Eating in China Town

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 blurty 12 Dec 2013
Any recommendations for the best places to eat in China town, london please?
Removed User 12 Dec 2013
In reply to blurty:

Sorry, can't give you specific recommendations, but for genuine chinese food the general rule is anywhere that is packed with chinese people. They are usually not in obvious places, so ask a local where they would eat.
 Dauphin 12 Dec 2013
In reply to blurty:

Most of the places in Chinatown are full of chinese people - no indication that it is any good - the more authentic the food the more minging in my experience. Go Vietnamese.

D
 thin bob 12 Dec 2013
In reply to blurty:

can't remember the name, but the place on the corner by the arch/gate was good a couple of years ago.
And the institution that is Won Keys - the big place at the opposite end if the street from the arch. Rude staff, big queues, fast service. And the only place I've had nice salt&pepper squid.

note:a lot of places only take cash.
 Yanis Nayu 12 Dec 2013
In reply to blurty:

The Wong Kei, with it's famously rude staff.
Removed User 12 Dec 2013
In reply to blurty:

Get BBQ at the 4 Seasons. Nom Nom
 Dominion 12 Dec 2013
In reply to blurty:

My last walk through China Town in London was somewhat fraught. I had earlier caught some teen-aged girls trying to "pickpocket" my then girlfriend's rucksack - and decided that I was going to get my head kicked in by whatever gang they were working the crowd with if I shopped them - and by the time I got to China Town I was in a very paranoid mood, and being very agoraphobic of crowds and people getting close to me.

Plus restaurant with lots of skinned greasy ducks hanging on display was not all that good for someone who was vegetarian.

Since then I've found out a bit about a "chinese" attitude to not being bothered in the least about killing animals in explicitly painful ways in order to improve the flavour.

See Timmd's thread about that.
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=570930
In reply to blurty:
If you want a Michelin Star experience Hakkasan in Hanway Place is your best bet which is 5 mins walk away from Chinatown - you would have to book in advance though. If you want cheap all of Gerrard Street / Wardour Street is.
As has been mentioned Wong Ki's is noted for it's extremely rude staff which adds for a unique dining experience........
Removed User 12 Dec 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity:

I used to eat there pretty much every lunchtime 20 odd years ago. I occasionally went with a guy who spoke a bit of Mandarin. He said the open and loud swearing about the customers was epic, impressive given that the vast bulk of their daytime customers were Chinese. I loved that place.
 andy 12 Dec 2013
In reply to I like climbing: i used to take journalists out for lunch now and again and Hakkasan was often one they'd choose - isn't there a starter that's about a hundred and thirty quid?
 ByEek 13 Dec 2013
In reply to Removed User:

> Sorry, can't give you specific recommendations, but for genuine chinese food the general rule is anywhere that is packed with chinese people. They are usually not in obvious places, so ask a local where they would eat.

I would agree. However, I have found there is quite an arrogance towards the west by the Chinese and I have generally received crap service compared to my Chinese dinners whenever eating in places like this. I could just be unlucky though.
 Ramblin dave 13 Dec 2013
In reply to Removed User:

> Sorry, can't give you specific recommendations, but for genuine chinese food the general rule is anywhere that is packed with chinese people. They are usually not in obvious places, so ask a local where they would eat.

I've never found that principle to be too reliable with chinese places. My guess is that it's because a lot of them pack out with students who aren't that bothered about the quality of the food provided it's vaguely familiar - sort of like British or American students studying abroad might go to McDonalds when they get together...

A bit further North, Chilli Cool near Euston is good for Sichuan stuff.
 nniff 13 Dec 2013
In reply to blurty:

Some of the best and worst meals I've had have been in China Town. The worst was 'authentic' chinese - essentially peasant food. Grim.

My tip, avoid the simple looking restaurants unless you know what you're doing - ie avoid the ones with bits of animal on hooks, domestic cookers as part of the 'ambience' and waitresses who look as though one of their additional duties is strangling dogs for the pot. A simplistic test perhaps, but....
 robal 13 Dec 2013
In reply to blurty:

Ba Shan
24 Romilly St London W1D 5AH
020 7287 3266
bashanlondon.com

its awesome, the food is delicious and based on fuchsia dunlop time in Chengdu, but in soho a little way away from china town.
 robal 13 Dec 2013
In reply to blurty:

p.s. the food can be a bit on the spicy side!
 Durbs 13 Dec 2013
In reply to blurty:

I've always found, much like Brick Lane and curries - the best Chinese food isn't in China Town.
It's cheap, sometimes cheerful and aimed mostly at the tourists...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...