UKC

Dol y Moch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pamph 12 Dec 2013
Back in the day (60's actually) I did an outward bound course from school at Dol y Moch in the vale of Ffestiniog. It is no exageration to state that it changed my life. Coming from Coventry, my first glimpse of mountains at the age of 14 was an absolute revelation, even though they were probably the Rhinogs. It meant my life from then on revolved round hill-walking, until I progressed to mountaineering. Is there anyone else out there who went to and remembers Dol y Moch?
Me 12 Dec 2013
In reply to pamph:

Yep, I was fortunate enough to spend some time there as a trainee, back in the 80's. It was a positive influence in my life. I still think of the centre itself and the staff there, who invested time in me. Seconding a guy called John Nuttall on Condor in the Molewyns( I think he dragged me up!) Paddling out to the St Tudwal's with a group, with a guy called Phil Eccles. The first time I had ever seen a seal in the wild and there one was, about 5 feet from the bow of my kayak. Along with the other 100 or so with their pups.
Growing up in Coventry....Plas Dol y Moch gave me Hope for the future.

I'm sure there are many who quite possibly felt same.

Cheers
Steve.
OP pamph 13 Dec 2013
In reply to Me:

Interesting to hear that it was still being run as a centre in the 80's. Is it still going?
Extremely glad to hear that you too had a 'life changing' time there!
oggi 13 Dec 2013
In reply to pamph:

Still going strong and one of the best thought of Outdoor Education Centres in North Wales. www.plasdolymoch.co.uk
Great to hear that it had such an influence, how many people remember a really good physics lesson? The outdoors has the opportunity to really influence young minds in a positive way.
 Tamati 13 Dec 2013
In reply to pamph:
I've been a few times. Stunning place!

They run courses for adults if you fancy a trip down memory lane.

My brother broke his leg there, one of the instructors gave him a piggy-back to the house from the hill.
Post edited at 20:27

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...