UKC

Another tablet question... sorry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi all,

Not had one of these tablet things before, nor do I have a smartphone so relatively new to the game.

I'm finally getting to the point where I'm travelling a lot with setting up a new business and really can't be without email access, and would find it very helpful if I could keep access to spreadsheets and basic word processing. The nail in the coffin for my anti-technology monster is wanting to play with this app: http://www.coachseye.com/ So I want something that will run that well, without being too slow - heard that can be a problem.

I used to have an Ipod touch and found the operating system pretty easy, but I don't have a mac and would need to use files on Windows and the tablet, basically accessing spreadsheets, reports etc.

Not too fussed about music or films, need to try and keep it fairly distraction free.

I don't really have any money available, but usually manage to scrat around and come up with something so as long as it's not too expensive I'll happily pay for the right thing once.

Any suggestions? I'm assuming Ipad air is winning but that's just based on apple being good salespeople.

cheers,
Oliver.
 LastBoyScout 13 Dec 2013
In reply to 65m moderate millington:

Apart from the app you want, I'd say you want a laptop, not a tablet.
 Neil Williams 13 Dec 2013
In reply to LastBoyScout:

An iPad with a keyboard might be an option, but if you are anything like me (though I do touch type fairly quickly) I find tablet on-screen keyboards horribly frustrating and thus never do anything other than just a quick email or Facebook post on them.

Agree you probably want a laptop for the business side, and maybe a cheap smartphone/Android tablet to run that app on if you really want it.

Neil
In reply to LastBoyScout:

I have a laptop already and unfortunately it's too large with travelling, what I need is quick access on buses/ trains etc. Although I have thought about geting a smaller one so I suppose that's still an option.
 AJM 13 Dec 2013
In reply to Neil Williams:

Just to throw in a counterpoint, I've pretty much given up on real computers since getting a tablet and as a result can type on a touchscreen keyboard as fast as on a real one (it helps having a good autocorrect system, which is one of the things I think my ipad still has the edge on over my android phone).

> An iPad with a keyboard might be an option, but if you are anything like me (though I do touch type fairly quickly) I find tablet on-screen keyboards horribly frustrating and thus never do anything other than just a quick email or Facebook post on them.

my typing technique is about as conventional as my knife and fork handling but works surprisingly well on touch screens! I did think about getting a keyboard for an ipad, guess I may as well have a laptop at that point though?

Yeah, an ultrabook of some kind (essentially a powerful, "proper PC" version of a netbook) might be a good choice.

Neil
In reply to AJM:

My gut feeling is that another laptop won't fill the niche that's not being filled by my current one so that's encouraging to hear. Really it's the constant small amount of access I'm after. Also how does internet access work? Is it Wi-fi with a sim card whenn that's not available and if that's the case can you get them as phone contracts or similar? Intrigued.
In reply to AJM:

Don't get on with autocorrect at all. But then again, I don't really use spelling checkers either, as I've always been very good at spelling right back to being a kid (though it's nice when it underlines something wrong, I turn off all the "do it for me" nonsense in Word as it *always* annoys me).

If I dispensed with a laptop, I'd want a 10" tablet with a keyboard case, which is near enough a small laptop.

I think the issue is touch typists - you need physical feedback to be able to touch type nicely. If you're someone who looks at the keyboard when typing, you'll probably be faster on a touchscreen keyboard than me.

Neil

What, tablets? I have a SIM card in mine (Nexus 7), though that only applies to the more expensive ones. If you had a smartphone you could connect it via WiFi to that. Otherwise you can only use it in a WiFi area.

What kind of constant access do you need - read only, or full edit? Is carrying an A4 form factor, thin laptop actually a big issue? If you just want to get email, maybe just a smartphone, which you could then use to connect a laptop to the Internet via WiFi?

Neil

ultrabook looks super fancy, and it's "ultra" which is about all the marketing power they need for me. Shame it's not waterproof, principle reason for never upgrading my phone was it survived 3 months on a sea kayaking trip (technically the second one, the first is under the sea somewhere)!

Would you be able to use apps on an ultrabook? Sorry, should ask google really.

Aye not much wifi around here, and I'd rather one does it all bit of kit than a smart phone to a tablet I think.

I need to be able to play with spreadsheets primarily for modelling purposes, but really basic functionality is all i need for that.

With word processing it's basically to get information down for me to format it later, so it doesn't need to be super sophisticated either, although if it is that could be a bonus.
 AJM 13 Dec 2013

Nothing so much to do with spelling (I'm a pedant if I'm allowed to be) - the autocorrect is for when I'm going fast and hit a wrong key or hit somewhere between keys, which as you say is more noticeable without physical keys.

Yes, I've never learn to touch type properly. I can type pretty fast without (and if I make a mistake I usually realise because the shape of my hands didn't feel right rather than because I've seen my finger hit a wrong key, which is probably a familiar sensation as a touch typist), and the limiting factor is usually thinking what I want to say rather than writing it down.

Anyone you could borrow a tablet from to try, perhaps? I think it would frustrate me to death doing what you propose, but others clearly do. It might be worth giving it a try.

I would suggest a larger one (10") for what you're doing. 7" widescreen tablets like the Nexus are much more like big phones - ideal for media consumption, but not great for work type stuff, IMO.

Neil

Thanks Neil,

I have a couple of friends with them I can test out, and am interested in looking into the Ultrabook idea as well and there are some business purchase solutions for that which would work nicely!

Cheers again,
Oliver.
 emmathefish 19 Dec 2013

Apple aren't just good salesman they are talented designers, and compared to virtually every other tablet in the world, ipads are superior. There is no cult, no conspiracy, no elitism, the designers at Apple have taken years to perfect the art of good design, and when it's everywhere there's usually a simple reason for this.

Not just a big statement though: the pixel quality is excellent, nothing is blurred and everything is clear and legible. For example, compared to the Kindle Fire HD, the ipad feels slick, and the navigation is really easy. Many professional designers and businessmen use the ipad for presenting their work if they are travelling around. There are some really good and useful organisation apps that can be used on it too. It looks professional to any client and is clear to look at from a distance.

They are expensive, but for the reasons I have just stated they are well worth it. Some iphone contracts come with a 'free' ipad, but obviously a contract with a monthly sum comes as part of that package but could be worth looking at.

ASUS have also made some decent tablets, and are also used by travelling businessmen if Apple are too expensive.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...