UKC

Recommendation for Gloves please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 paul walters 13 Dec 2013
I've spent ages perusing various reviews on gloves and am now perplexed.
Can anyone recommend a suitable glove from personal experience ?
I want a glove I can use for:-

Hill walking
Scrambling
Dog Sledding in Lapland this winter

I have an eye on the Montane Extreme.... anyone got a pair ?
Thanks
Paul
 aldo56 13 Dec 2013
In reply to paul walters:
http://www.skytecgloves.com/skytec-argon

(I have no idea how cold it will be in Lapland, that might be a factor!
Post edited at 15:27
J1234 13 Dec 2013

I use Dachstein mitts, relatively inexpensive, good in ice situations, easy to get on and off, just very good.
In reply to sjc:

B/D Punishers For Climbing
Rab Baltoros for Winter Walking
Can't fault either
matejn 13 Dec 2013

Yes and they will be brilliant for what you want them for.
 martinph78 13 Dec 2013
I'm a big fan of the Buffalo mitt over a glove comobo.

I use the Black Diamond Stormweight glove for scrambling and general winter use, to keeping m hands warm when moving fast with poles. A superb glove, dry in minutes if you end up with your hands in snow (ie sharp edge or striding edge in winter), block the wind, and are really tough.

http://www.escape2.co.uk/black-diamond-stormweight-glove-black?gclid=CIuAnO...

This is my most-used glove and I won't hesitate to replace them with another pair. I bought them in Peru in 2005 and still use them now.

Pop them in a pair of Buffalo Mitts (or my old Wild Country version of Buffalo Mitts) and you're set for walking, sledding, and getting your hands quickly warmed after winter scrambling.

My mates don't understand how I can scramble in gloves (on cold wet days) but I really do feel plenty of grip and dexterity in the BD gloves and actually enjoy climbing in them.
Post edited at 17:51
AustinPowered 14 Dec 2013
Another vote for RAB baltoro's and the Bufalo mits..

Ultimately, it's a preference. What do you find comfortable? Try them on in the shops.. Have a play.. I find bulk uncomfortable, but then I'm a big(ish) chap.. The baltoro's are about the limit of my layers..

AP

Oceanic 14 Dec 2013

> I have an eye on the Montane Extreme.... anyone got a pair ?

I bought some Montane Extremes but took them back when I realised that the gauntlet bit was a tight fit over the cuff of my jacket.

Swapped them for BD Impulse, which is a similar glove, but in an under cuff style.

In reply to Oceanic:

> I bought some Montane Extremes but took them back when I realised that the gauntlet bit was a tight fit over the cuff of my jacket.

The guantlet can be slightly tight over thick sleeves like on a down jacket, although not a problem over what I would call normal jacket sleeves. You can still get them on over down sleeves but takes a bit more time.
I have used a pair of the extremes as my go to glove at this time of year (2yrs) for walking and so far have been very impressed. Used in both wet and dry, cold and mild conditions and they have always performed very well. They are really nice and comfortable to wear and suitably water resistant - yet to get wet hands, but looks like they are now needing reproofed, so it may be soon! The leather seems to be standing up well to use.
Can be a bit too warm if you are working hard unless it's seriously cold or you get cold hands easily. Also, they are not the smallest of gloves to stuff in your pocket or for fiddly tasks though if that is an important consideration for you. The elastic used for the leash in my pair Is the poorest part and is not that great quality. Although it has not broken, I did have to re stitch them. Besides that the only "problem" I've had is the Montane sticky logos peel off/get rubbed off easily - one hand now says tane and the other Montan !
Would recommend overall and personally I would buy again.
 TobyA 14 Dec 2013

Simply you're not going to find one glove that does all of them perfectly all the time. Sometimes it raining, sometimes it isn't. Sometimes its -20, most of the time it isn't.

For those activities, i'd seriously consider these http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.fi/2012/10/marmot-basic-work-glove-review... and then a pair of warm mitts.
 lcullum7 14 Dec 2013

As above you won't find one pair of gloves to suit all three of those activities, but here's my views for the best options...

1. I've found something like the ME Randonee (or Rab Baltoro but I've not used) to be suitable for pretty much everything in the UK, warm, water resistant (and still warm when wet), pretty dexterous. I got quite cold hands and feet dog sledding in Lapland, about -15, so I'd recommend some cheaper mitts (and even liners) as a booster for temps that cold.

2. Gloves like the ME Super Alpine or Marmot XT (but I find the exterior seams on those really annoying) are also excellent in lots of situations and a much better choice if scrambling due to the dexterity. They aren't as warm and so you will definitely need a good mitt for Lapland and I've also found they can be a bit lacking in insulation for colder conditions over here, depends what's most important to you.

Luke

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...