UKC

Bridge camera for climbing/mountaineering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 baileyswalk 14 Dec 2013
Anyone have any bridge camera recommendations for around the £300 mark?

I will be taking this camera climbing winter & summer so it must:

Take a good photo on auto at different light levels.
Solid as it might get a bit of abuse (A good case might help this though?).
Lightweight.

Anything else that I should be considering??
 Tom Valentine 14 Dec 2013
In reply to baileyswalk:

I was hoping for a flood of replies to your post as my wife and I have treated ourselves to a bridge camera for Christmas to supplement our fairly decent compacts and my redundant SLR and lenses.
There seems to be a bit of indifference about bridge cameras among serious photographers and this might have filtered through to UKC.

I suppose it's all about the "Jack of all trades, master of none" school of thought, but people used to say that about zoom lenses in the old days....
 london_huddy 14 Dec 2013
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Perhaps, but the ermergance of mirror-less compacts is perhaps more to blame because you can get above-compact performance in similar size. Packing huuuuge zoom in a small body is still, mostly, the preserve of the bridge camera but for general climbing, walking and skiing use, a compact mirror-less is easily the best balance between camera size and image quality.

Having said that, I had a very happy time with a Panasonic FZ5 a few years ago...
OP baileyswalk 14 Dec 2013
In reply to baileyswalk:

Yea I could have my arm twisted to a DSLR, I'll probably end up getting one if I get into photography more but my passion will start in the mountains and therefore a bridge camera seems to be the weapon of choice. But like you, I was hoping for some first hand opinions.
OP baileyswalk 14 Dec 2013
In reply to london_huddy:

Intersting, I was not aware of morror-less compacts. They look pricey though.
 sjminfife 14 Dec 2013

I have a Coolpix 510 and I think it is great. I am not sure it is rugged enough for the OP though.
sjm
Jim C 14 Dec 2013
In reply to baileyswalk:
There are a range of Fujifinpix with decent quality, and reasonable zoom lens I have an 18x zoom, but there are 50x available now ( if you need that) I have an S8100 FD

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/compact-digital-cameras/fujifilm-finepix-s8100fd-...

I don't have to bother being too precious with this, I scratched the last one climbing Howling Ridge on the Reeks in Ireland , and just replaced it cheaply on e-bay, and now I have my old one for spares ( cheaper than fixing the original)

Have a look in Flickr and search for the camera that you are considering, and you will be able to see the kind of photos that are possible with that camera ( albeit you don't know the skills of the owners)
 Tom Valentine 14 Dec 2013
In reply to london_huddy:

I should have said that a viewfinder is a must , whether on a compact or bridge.
Unfortunately this adds to the weight and bulk. The end product might be OK for some types of mountaineering but not for multi-pitch rock climbing.
 Bruce Hooker 15 Dec 2013

It's true a viewfinder is essential and most compacts don't have one nowadays - one wonders if those who design cameras actually use them outdoors! I've been using a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ28 for years (first an earlier version which was stolen - someone else must like them and find them very good and within the OPs price range.

You can also make HD movies with it which are pretty good quality. Bulkier than a compact but much better and still very much lighter than an old SLR. The lens goes from the equivalent of a 27mm wide angle on a 35mm SLR to 18 times zoom which is already beyond any useful use hand held. Mine have been knocked about a bit and survived up to now. Thoroughly recommended.
 Tom Valentine 15 Dec 2013
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

Great to hear, Bruce, because our Christmas present is a Lumix FZ62
The Canon G series have viewfinders. They also still have a hotshoe so you can use proper flash units. I've a G11 but the latest model is the G16. Nice big controls so you can set things up even with gloves on. They aren't cheap - £470 for the G16!

They are super compacts rather than bridge cameras though.

ALC
Post edited at 11:00
 Damo 15 Dec 2013
In reply to baileyswalk:

People don't talk about 'bridge' cameras so much these days. Mirrorless 4/3 / CSC cams have pushed them aside in that middle ground.

They still exist though, and this new one looks interesting: http://www.dpreview.com/products/sony/compacts/sony_dschx300

The Canon G series are well established as 'compact' cams with viewfinders, but they're not really that compact and the images are not better than a S120 or Sony RX100.

There is a new compact with a viewfinder: http://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/compacts/panasonic_dmclf1
OP baileyswalk 16 Dec 2013
In reply to baileyswalk:

Interesting stuff indeed. Have been checking out these mirrorless/csc cameras and they do look really nice. However, I like the zoom range you get on these bridge cameras and I would also like a view finder. To get that on a csc it is going to cost me. Coupled with a look at my bank balance, £200 is going to be closer to my budget. I only really need this camera to fulfil a very specific task and although being smaller and lighter would be a bonus it puts the csc cameras out of my price range.

I've been looking at these three cameras: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ62, nikon coolpix p520, fujifilm finepix sl 1000

They all seem OK. There has already been some love shown for the panasonic and nikon cameras. Anyone else have any opinions on these?
 Tom Valentine 16 Dec 2013
In reply to baileyswalk:

Not allowed to play with the Lumix yet but you will get a few pence change at Amazon.
 Toerag 17 Dec 2013
In reply to baileyswalk:
it must:
> Take a good photo on auto at different light levels.
> Solid as it might get a bit of abuse (A good case might help this though?).
> Lightweight.
> Anything else that I should be considering??

Get a Lumix FT1/3/5 then - shock/waterproof, internal zoom, small. I don't think a Bridge camera will make much difference if you're going to shoot on auto all the time, and most have external zooms that will get broken.
OP baileyswalk 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Toerag:

another contender! Perhaps this would be the best for capturing climbing action and saving my pennies for a decent DSLR.
 Robert Durran 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Toerag:

> Get a Lumix FT1/3/5 then - shock/waterproof, internal zoom, small. I don't think a Bridge camera will make much difference if you're going to shoot on auto all the time, and most have external zooms that will get broken.

I used to have this camera and really liked it for winter climbing and kayaking use - it's great not having to worry about it getting knocked about or wet (I just kept it without a case in a chest pocket attached with a piece of cord for ease of acccess). Very good picture too. The only bad thing about it was the lack of a cover over the lens window which meant it tended to get fugged up; I now have the Sony DMC TX10 which is more fiddly to use if not just pointing and shooting in auto (useles touch screen), but has a sliding cover for the lens - just as good pictures.

IM 17 Dec 2013
In reply to baileyswalk:

rugged compact cameras mostly have very well designed bodies but i think the picture quality is often moderate/poor. e.g. check reviews of the lumix ft 5 and you will see that IQ is 'good for it's class' or for it's 'target audience'. i have had a couple of Olympus tough cameras [610, 830] that were seen to be on par with the likes of the lumix, fuji etc and i thought the IQ was often complete rubbish - you would be just as well using a smart phone. they were hopeless in low light, or even shade. i sold them. like i said, they are really nicely built and possibly worth putting up with the poor quality image for the general ruggedness. i personally would give all compact waterproof/tough cameras a body swerve until some company puts a decent sized sensor in them.
 Robert Durran 17 Dec 2013
 IM 18 Dec 2013
 Inishowen 18 Dec 2013
In reply to baileyswalk:

Fuji finepix hs50exr is the one that's caught my eye and has come down a lot in price (£500 down to around £300). System compact with 50x zoom, decent lenses and sensor - looks ok too. I would take it up routes in a well padded bag, as I used to do with film SLRs.

Read the reviews, its rated as a big improvement over the previous model. I'm hanging on until Feb/March as the big electronics show in the USA (Las Vegas?) may bring out yet another model/variant and cause another price drop.

Please post what you finally go for.
 Inishowen 18 Dec 2013
In reply to baileyswalk:

I have just checked on Google shopping, quickly, and there are some advertised at sub-£250! however that may not include a UK/European warranty, nor postage. Some shops are selling the the older models at more than UK prices for the 50 model.
 Tom Valentine 18 Dec 2013
In reply to Inishowen:

Is the magnification on a 50 x zoom (with a 24 mm wide at the other end) something like the same as holding a 25 x monocular?

I've got a 20x monocular and it's all but unuseable without a tripod.
 jazzyjackson 18 Dec 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber:
> (In reply to Tom V) The Canon G series have viewfinders. They also still have a hotshoe so you can use proper flash units. I've a G11 but the latest model is the G16. Nice big controls so you can set things up even with gloves on. They aren't cheap - £470 for the G16!
>
> They are super compacts rather than bridge cameras though.
>
> ALC

Heres my $2 worth after just spending weeks investigating
I just got a G15,also had a G12 so knew I liked them. Amazing cameras. U can gt a G15 for £240 from digitalrev
Doesnt have wifi/GPS ( I think )like the G16 but figure I wont use that anyway.
Thats a lot of camera for £240 and has a 1 year guarantee with the shop.

Looked at Canon g1x ( too £ and too big ) and the Sony RX100 ( incredible cam but some say a dog to shoot with )
 Robert Durran 18 Dec 2013
In reply to jazzyjackson:

> .......Sony RX100 ( incredible cam but some say a dog to shoot with )

I researched this camera recently and found it hard to find a bad word about it (I still might end up getting one at some point). What is the problem with it? any references? (genuinely interested!)

IM 18 Dec 2013

the Sony RX100 ( incredible cam but some say a dog to shoot with )

Surprised to hear that, i have one and it is just about perfect in every way - maybe a wee bit on the small side for gloved hands.
 jazzyjackson 18 Dec 2013
In reply to Robert Durran:
> (In reply to jazzyjackson)
>
> [...]
>
> I researched this camera recently and found it hard to find a bad word about it (I still might end up getting one at some point). What is the problem with it? any references? (genuinely interested!)

Just peoples reviews. always seemed to get top scores everywhere except it's physical interface. Again, its just users reviews. Seen some sick pics from the RX100 but no camera can have it all I suppose.
 Inishowen 19 Dec 2013

Hi, I don't have one of these but yes it's a zoom and therefore extends a way.

If you can be braced against the crag or trees you can shoot down to 1/60th whilst on route. Rucksacs, jackets, jumpers even hats have served well as tripods/beany bags for me. From reading of reviews, back in late spring, its got a lot of options within programmes for fast shooting; before you even go manual with it.

You'll just have to refer to reviews regards handling and any image stabilisation. Actually being able to find a photography shop to handle one is something else though - these days. I'm aware John Lewis stock them and can look to do price matching, so there's a possibility.

That's as good as I can offer I'm afraid.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...