UKC

Climbing Wall in Poole

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 swmackey 14 Dec 2013
I have been in Dorchester for a few months now and the only wall I can seem to find is at Wimbourne and it is a little small and boring.

Are there any others around that you may recommend?

Apparently there is a bouldering wall in Poole?
 MikaelGlazier 15 Dec 2013
In reply to swmackey:

Calshot in soton isnt too far away, and it was good when i used to climb there.
 climbtim 15 Dec 2013
In reply to swmackey: the project has been open about three weeks above the dolphin centre in Poole. Bouldering only currently but hands down better than Wimborne and means no more drives to calshot.

worth a visit.
 nasher47 15 Dec 2013
In reply to swmackey:

+1 for The Project - Bouldering only but who needs ropes when you've got so many great problems!? Awesome.
mrbrian6 15 Dec 2013
In reply to swmackey: another vote for the project well worth a visit

Jon Wilson 17 Dec 2013
In reply to swmackey:

There is also Bournemouth Climbing at Harewood college. Only open Tuesday nights but well worth a visit as similar size to Wimbourne but Higher 11m and a much more modern facility.
andyw90 19 Dec 2013
In reply to swmackey:

Another +1 for Project; we used to trip up to Reading at the weekends for great bouldering so its a great result to have somewhere of that quality locally.

I have climbed Harewood many times with the uni climbing club as its walkable from my house. Things may have changed since they have gone public, but previously the route setting was not great (much like QE) and to my knowledge was never reset.

Calshot has some good/extensive rope climbing, the bouldering is ok, just a pain to drive to.
 Steve27 20 Dec 2013
In reply to swmackey:

+1 for the project, it's a bit rough round the edges but the routes and problems are very good. I'm also in Dorchester so if you fancy heading over there sometime drop me an email.
 Adam Perrett 09 Jan 2014
In reply to swmackey:

There is a small indoor wall at The Nothe Sea Cadet centre in Weymouth. It opens again to the public (Thursday nights only) on 16th Jan. Open between 6-10pm.
 Tony the Blade 09 Jan 2014
In reply to Adam Perrett:

It's called the Weymouth Sea Cadet National Training Centre (Not to be confused with the Weymouth Sea Cadet Unit)

It is a purpose built training centre close to the harbour, now famous as the venue for the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Sailing Regattas. On the water you can learn to sail, drive powerboats and windsurf. Off the water you can study marine engineering to BTEC Level. The drill deck/sports hall has a 7.6m high, eight route climbing wall and an indoor shooting range.

Contact details are:
Sea Cadet Training Centre
Barrack Road
The Nothe
Weymouth
Dorset
DT4 8TZ
Tel: 01305 775191

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SCTCWeymouth
Fred Naish 09 Jan 2014
In reply to Tony the Blade:

Hardly seems worth it when The Project is just 1/2 an hour away!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...