UKC

DIY plasterboard question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 djwilse 15 Dec 2013
Hi
A question for any budding DIYers or even trades people.
I have patched a hole in plasterboard (1m sq) with new board. All the websites I have seen suggest I use jointing compound to fill the small gap between the patch and the existing plasterboard. However none of the local DIY stores have it. TP has it in massive tubs but way more than I need.
So the question is would deep filler (e.g Pollyfilla) do a similar job?
mrbrian6 15 Dec 2013
In reply to djwilse: I'm assuming that the existing plasterboard hasn't been skimmed with plaster? Yes you would be better to use jointing compound, some places sell small bags that require mixing rather than ready mix. Make sure you tape the joints first or the compound will just crack along join.

MaxWilliam 15 Dec 2013
In reply to djwilse:

Depends if you are happy for cracks to show after a short time...

Ideally use Giproc Easyfill, available from B&Q, but you need to tape the joint first (glass reinforcing tape). Then 'feather' the filling edge back 50-100mm each side.
OP djwilse 15 Dec 2013
In reply to djwilse:
Thanks for the replies, I will see what I can find.
 csw 15 Dec 2013
In reply to djwilse:

What did you use to secure the new board in place with? If you stuck it in place with dry lining adhesive, that will be fine for filling the gap. You'd probably get away with filling it with plaster, as long as you properly fill it and then cover the joint with fibre tape. Another thing I've seen done is to pack joints with fibre tape and plaster together - whatever you do, make sure that you tape the joint fully after you've filled it, and there's a good overlap - depending on the gap you might need to use two or more strips. If you do fill the joint with plaster then I'd let it go off a little before skimming it, but not completely. If for some reason you do let it go off, then wet it thoroughly before skimming.
OP djwilse 15 Dec 2013
In reply to csw:

Thanks - I nailed the patch in place onto the studs. I wasn't planning on skimming it - the existing wall is currently wallpapered straight on to the plasterboard, so I will either be re-papering the whole room (due anyway) or maybe just painting if I think I can get away with that.
 csw 15 Dec 2013
In reply to djwilse:

Well if you're not skimming it then cracking isn't an issue, and the good news is, you can fill it with whatever you can cram in there
 gordo 15 Dec 2013
on site they would tape the joint with either fibre or paper tape and then just put 2-3 layers of easi-fill over the top.

1st layer to cover the tape and scrape down high spots when set.
2nd layer slightly wider to hide the bump and this should be pretty flat followed by a light sand after its set. if it still has low spots put a really tight coat on the same as the 2nd.

that would cover with paint and be pretty hard to see so wallpaper would not be a problem.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...