UKC

Peter O'Toole

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 15 Dec 2013
Has died, aged 81. Brilliant actor. I saw him in Lawrence of Arabia when it was first released.

RIP
 Choss 15 Dec 2013
In reply to FesteringSore:

Oh no!

Thought he was best in how to Steal a million.
 Tom Last 15 Dec 2013

Sad, great actor.
 Rob Exile Ward 15 Dec 2013
In reply to Tom Last:

Got thrown off Wintours Leap in a great 70s film called Rogue Male. Not many people will remember that.

Good book, good film, great actor,
 deepstar 15 Dec 2013
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> Got thrown off Wintours Leap in a great 70s film called Rogue Male. Not many people will remember that.

> Good book, good film, great actor,

I saw that film and enjoyed it but I did`nt realize the scene you refer to was done at Wintours Leap.
 Blue Straggler 15 Dec 2013
Maybe they will finally give him an Oscar now.

In reply to Blue Straggler:

He was given a Honorary Oscar in 2010.
youtube.com/watch?v=Wt564HJ_Irg&
In reply to Blue Straggler:

What a wonderfully eloquent speech of thanks he gave, too.
 The Lemming 15 Dec 2013

He's died?

Sorry to hear that, but I thought he died year's ago.

In reply to The Lemming:

Ditto,
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Oops! I missed that. Thanks for the correction.

I always used to think he was much much older than he was, when I was much younger (e.g. in clips from Rebecca's Daughters and other duds from his fallow period, he looked 70ish to me) but now looking back at old pics, he looks merely well seasoned back then
Removed User 15 Dec 2013

RIP. I passed him in the street in Edinburgh c.12-13 years ago. He exploded into a coughing fit and our eyes met, and he said, 'Soon be dead, thank God.'
Kipper 15 Dec 2013

Saw him in 'Jeffrey Bernard is Unwell' - brilliant as a drunk, acting as a drunk, or quite probably both.

csw 15 Dec 2013
I remember rogue male too - Also one where he played a young nobleman who thought he was Jesus Christ - Can't remember the name of the film. [it was The Ruling Class]

Sorry to see him go anyway
Post edited at 20:53
 Trangia 15 Dec 2013

Very sad

I remember him as Lawrence of Arabia, and then Lord Chelmsford in Zulu Dawn, two of his best performances.
In reply to Trangia:

Yes but what has he done for you lately? Venus was a bit let down....
Did you see that Oxford don thing he did with Sam Neill? Looked passable but I didn't see it.
 Blue Straggler 16 Dec 2013
Sorry, that should have read "Venus was a bit of a let down".

Cardi 16 Dec 2013

Some of you might be interested to know that the actual Lawrence of Arabia was born in Tremadog!
 Al Evans 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Cardi:

Was once sent to i/v him while he was working on a series for GTV I forget the name of now. He insisted that at lunch they always had a cricket match (which I joined in). The young very pretty researcher/interviewer spotted his love of cricket and thought this was a good way to get in with the notoriously difficult to i/v O'Toole, so she started off the i/v by talking about his love of cricket. He looked at her, paused, and then said
"What the f*ck do you know about cricket"
Oh dear my dear I thought, but she did sort of recover when he took pity on her
 Robert Durran 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Cardi:

> Some of you might be interested to know that the actual Lawrence of Arabia was born in Tremadog!

But filmed in Wadi Rum. No contest!
In reply to Robert Durran:

… and Spain, and Morocco, and California … and Wales
OP FesteringSore 16 Dec 2013
My grandfather knew the REAL T. E. Lawrence

> … and Spain, and Morocco, and California … and Wales

But Wadi Rum still wins hands down!
In reply to Robert Durran:

Well the set for Aqaba, built in southern Spain, was one of the most extraordinary in film history, consisting of 300 buildings built from scratch in a dry river bed by the sea.

> Well the set for Aqaba, built in southern Spain, was one of the most extraordinary in film history, consisting of 300 buildings built from scratch in a dry river bed by the sea.

Yes, but Wadi Rum IS a filmset!
Cambridge-Climber 16 Dec 2013
In reply to FesteringSore: Oliver Reed also enjoyed a spot of Cricket.
 Richard Carter 16 Dec 2013

He was in 'Phantoms' as well :-D
 pneame 16 Dec 2013

For me - his absolute best performance was in the Lion in Winter - after bickering with Eleanor for the whole film, as he sends her off to prison again, he calls "I hope we never die"

Beuatiful
In reply to Richard Carter:

Phantoms is great. Baffleck, angry frowning Liev Schrieber, a double dose of pulchritude thanks to MacGowan AND the sadly overlooked and underused Joanna Going, and Peter O'Toole as a piece of ham

> … and Spain, and Morocco, and California … and Wales

Have you got to the bit in the Brownlow book where some labourer at Pinewood or Shepperton is overheard saying "they just did in there with a few bags o' sand"?
The splendid Joan Fontaine has also passed away.

Fraser 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

You've mentioned that story more than once on here before Al, and I thought on those occasions what I think now: he was well named.
In reply to Fraser:

> You've mentioned that story more than once on here before Al, and I thought on those occasions what I think now: he was well named.

Did you never get the memo? Misogyny was COOL in the 70s

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...