UKC

I'm trying to pimp a mountaineering axe, need help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 funnybunnytom1 15 Dec 2013
Hi , I'm trying to pimp out a dmm cirque. I'm trying to make it like a sought of technical axe but not. I just got bord and thought of the idea to have like a hybrid axe between a walking / technical axe. I was wondering if you could fit accessories such as the grivel slider, horn,trigger to the cirque??
 Cameron94 16 Dec 2013
In reply to funnybunnytom1:

Hey mate,

I use hockey tape in a funky yellow colour which i think gives my axe an extra wow factor and definitely helps when i'm climbing hard and i get scared (man yoga).

Hope i've been of some help to you.

Thanks,

Cameron.
 afshapes 16 Dec 2013

I use tassles , gold or silver .... I tie them to the adze then when ib swing the axe it looks like it's on fire.
johnj 16 Dec 2013

Maybe a glitter or custom paintjob world work, or maybe for the full on effect you could fit a lighting system on it which could be set to random strobe pattern.
 csw 16 Dec 2013

You could probably make all of those fit with a little ingenuity, but you have to ask yourself why you'd be doing it. If you're on ground that demands a technical tool then you'd better be carrying one and it doesn't matter what you attach to the shaft, the geometry [if that's the right word] of the axe will stay as it is.

I may catch some ridicule for this, but I customised my walking axe with a loop of 7mm accessory cord through the karabiner hole so I can attach a clipper leash if I'm using it with a hammer, which I'll do on low grade stuff - and it has 2m of duct tape wrapped round the shaft, because it's surprising how often you wish you had some.

Another thing you can do is to tape 18" of brake cable inner to the top of your axe, just below the head, and then if you ever drop or forget your abalokov threader, you're covered.

As for attaching a grivel slider - I'm pretty sure that's been discussed on here - you should be able to search the forums and find the thread[s] Hopefully someone will be along soon who can explain if it's a dangerous idea, a pointless one, or if it has any merit.....
 danm 16 Dec 2013

Have you considered nitrous injection?
 CurlyStevo 16 Dec 2013
In reply to csw:

They no longer make the grivel slider. If the OP wants a trigger then the grivel trigger does the job although you may want to saw off the metal hook to leave it more similar in shape to the old grivel slider. If its for a grip rest the the easy slider or grivel horn may be better anyways as the slider / trigger make a fairly small grip rest.

Which of these fit the DMM cirque is another matter and since very few people will want to fit triggers / grip rests to alpine axes I doubt the information is easily available.
 roverhead 16 Dec 2013

Have you seen this stuff, can be molded to fix onto most materials.

http://sugru.com/about
Nick Barnard 16 Dec 2013

A decent leash would be better than putting a load of tat on the shaft, I'd rather have something that plunges well. My tech axes don't have any pinkie rests or triggers.

DMM do a leash for a tenner, works fine. Sorry for the boring answer!
 csw 16 Dec 2013
In reply to roverhead:

That's interesting - thanks for the link
 csw 16 Dec 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

It's not something I'd do, but I've definitely seen a thread on here about attaching a Grivel slider to a DMM axe, and in my experience most things are doable one way or another - whether they're worth doing is another thing, but the person who never made a mistake, never made anything.

I may well be wrong about this, but wasn't the Grivel slider made so that you could have a grip rest on an alpine/walking axe?
 CurlyStevo 16 Dec 2013
In reply to csw:
as mentioned they don't make the grivel slider anymore. The grivel trigger with the metal hook sawn off is almost identical to the grivel slider but it won't slide ( ie its fixed).

They make the grivel trigger (and the old slider) in two sizes, but between these two they will fit most axes, however the old slider didn't actually slide properly on many axes and needed to be fixed.

I have one slider and one trigger with the metal part sawn off fitted as upper grip rests on my old style quarks.
Post edited at 16:00
In reply to roverhead:

Wingnut messed about with a different 'protoyping polymer' some years ago, the one that softens in hot water. Oh, and entered in into Alpkit's CoLab08 competition:

http://www.alpkit.com/colab08/entry/configurable-ice-tool-handles
In reply to roverhead:

I'm getting some of this stuff , cheers
SethChili 21 Dec 2013

I got an old Mountain Technology Glencoe walking axe , stripped the paint off , spray painted it , stuck some blingy climbing brand stickers on it and then painted the shaft with clear nail varnish .

Simple stuff that makes your kit look cool(er)

Seth
In reply to SethChili:

Ha ha awesome! I got the toolkit out this Christmas and managed to make the cirque a leash less beast!!! Lovely trigger on in and rest haha! Just got to do it to my other axe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...